Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7-4065dx
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The original HDD has issues. With the originally installed OS and my applications and files it would not complete a CHKDSK /R.

Using Macrium Reflect I could not image or clone the C partition. It kept failing due to disk i/o errors. I was able to back up my user account and other important docs to a USB drive. So, no real data loss.

I ordered a new HDD and prepared to make recovery discs and move everything over.

However, during the Create Reovery Discs process (I was using Flash media--not discs), a message popped up saying that creating recovery media failed.

The flash drive was 64gb, brand new out of the package. After the recovery creation attempt the flash drive was empty. No files had been written. So, I attempted to make recovery discs instead. But, now when I launch the media creator app I get the message "Recovery media has already been created for this computer. You can only do this once" ( I paraphrased...but basically--ya it won't let me try to create them again).

So, I'm stuck. At this point I just want to install Windows 7 home premium (that shipped with the computer) and get all the device drivers installed. I have the HP product key on the bottom of the laptop. But, no way to install the OS.

What do I do now?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you didn't create your HP Recovery Media when you first setup your computer and waited until it the hard drive started to fail, it is likely that the recovery image was damaged and resulted in the failure you see. Because the computer is six years old, HP no longer sells recovery media for this model. Please see ComputerSurgeons.com Set #: 616567-002 for HP Recovery Discs for you computer.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

If you didn't create your HP Recovery Media when you first setup your computer and waited until it the hard drive started to fail, it is likely that the recovery image was damaged and resulted in the failure you see. Because the computer is six years old, HP no longer sells recovery media for this model. Please see ComputerSurgeons.com Set #: 616567-002 for HP Recovery Discs for you computer.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

First, you need create a system backup image by Windows Disk Management, and then, it will remind you to create a recovery disk. Follow the steps to finish it. Or, you can find a third party software such as AOMEI Backupper to help you create recovery media.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.