Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pravilion G6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Background:

With the issue of Microsoft stopping support for Windows 7, I have been trying to do a System Image of the Windows 7 OS before upgrading to Windows 10.  The OS is an OEM install from 2014 and I do not have the OEM DVD.  I have been using a DVD from Memorex DVD+R and not been able to complete the process.  Generally, after the 1st DVD, it gives a message like medium not valid or something like like that. 

Question:

1) Do  I need to use a DVD-R or do I need another type of DVD?  Some of the info on web mentioned the "-" instead of the"+", frankly, I just do not know.   The DVD in laptop appears to work correctly as I have not had any other issues with it.

2) When I tried to use a USB on the USB port to create a system image, it says I cannot. It is not a valid medium.

3) If all else fails, can I use an SSD connected to the USB port?

Any help out there would truly be appreciated...

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello, a system image is a big files representig all your hard drive. It is not an install disk. So generally we create this on an external hard drive because the system image do the same size than all your hard drive used space. 

For create this, you just need to check in your control panel, or enter "system image" on your search bar (start menu). 

But if your system is totaly not working, you need a bootable DVD for boot your PC to restore with your image. Maybe your system image creation will offer this creation to you (on your blank DVD). If any offer, you can check this on your control panel, tab "backup and restore". 

If I have been answer to your question please accept it as a solution 🙂
I am Expert from French Community, and I am doing my best to help you with your question.

HP Recommended

Hi, @tbrode5060 

I suggest you use a free disk imaging utility such as Macrium Reflect.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Store the system image onto a portable hard drive, and the program will have you create a bootable rescue DVD or USB flash drive that you boot from to access the system image.

I hope your notebook will run W10 without any issues.

No g6 notebooks are supported with drivers for W10 by HP, since they were all made prior to August of 2013.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05195282

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.