Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi

I'm new to hp forums. Recently had a new hp 15-cc546na laptop. While I was trying to use a disk clone utility all the partitions of on my hdd  got messed up 

All I could recover is the recovery partition with all the files intact .

I was just wondering if there is some way to create a bootable usb using recovery files to get my laptop OS back to original factory state?

I can install Windows 10  anew  but I assume that factory OS might be important for any warranty issues.

An expert advice is much appreciated 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Not sure if it works on Windows 10 machines but setting the Recovery partition as Active worked on earlier OS. Once done the laptop would boot from the recovery partition and restore original OS with drivers/software and set C as Active.

Or, you can always contact HP to order Recovery Media:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/hp-pavilion-15-cc500-laptop-pc/15551393/model/170339...

You will need your Serial number. It should be on the bottom of laptop and also in BIOS. Or, on the box if you still have it.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Thanks

@CherylG wrote:

Not sure if it works on Windows 10 machines but setting the Recovery partition as Active worked on earlier OS. Once done the laptop would boot from the recovery partition and restore original OS with drivers/software and set C as Active.

Or, you can always contact HP to order Recovery Media:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/hp-pavilion-15-cc500-laptop-pc/15551393/model/170339...

You will need your Serial number. It should be on the bottom of laptop and also in BIOS. Or, on the box if you still have it.

Thanks for your quick response and advice.

At the moment all the original  partitions of my hdd are deleted. 

Should I reformat the disk and create a new partition. Then copy the recoverd recovery files to this partition and set it active??

Will it be bootable and would allow F15  key to start the system recovery??

I hope I could explain my issue 

Regards 

HP Recommended

Hi

Sometimes the partition table can be recovered.  https://gparted.org/

GParted is a free partition editor for graphically managing your disk partitions.

With GParted you can resize, copy, and move partitions without data loss, enabling you to:

• Grow or shrink your C: drive
  • Create space for new operating systems
  • Attempt data rescue from lost partitions

HP Recommended

The tool Gparted is a Linux utility, and personally, I have found Linux utilities to work best on Linux filesystems; Windows utilities tend to work best on Windows filesystems.

If you want a free Windows utility, then consider this one:  https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

@aveseina wrote:

Thanks

Should I reformat the disk and create a new partition. Then copy the recoverd recovery files to this partition and set it active??

Regards 

I was under the impression your recovery partition was intact. It "may" still be possible to copy the files to the drive and set it as Active but HP recovery files are very weird about being moved around. Once the drive is set as Active you do NOT tap F11- it boots automatically from the Active partition.

You may in the end have to order Recovery Media from HP.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

@CherylG wrote:

@aveseina wrote:

Thanks

Regards 

I was under the impression your recovery partition was intact. It "may" still be possible to copy the files to the drive and set it as Active but HP recovery files are very weird about being moved around. Once the drive is set as Active you do NOT tap F11- it boots automatically from the Active partition.

You may in the end have to order Recovery Media from HP.

I think he somehow got the files from the recovery partition over to another hard drive when he was cloning.

Unfortunate, he did not follow a good tutorial.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.