Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi - I just purchased my first HP laptop. On the first day, I was running on battery power and it shut down when I still had 7% left. Through some internet research I found out how to adjust the Critical Battery Level setting lower in Windows 10 but my HP laptop will not allow it below 7%,

It will let me select to a lower value in the menu, but it simply changes back to 7% when I click apply or hit enter without any sort of message or popup indicating why. Some old posts I found on this forum indicate this limit is hard coded into HP Laptops - is this true?  7% seems too high to force hibernate the laptop especially when the estimated minutes in the system tray indicate I still have plenty of time left.  

Does anyone know if there's a way to remove the HP restriction on this setting, if there is one?  I may return the laptop due to this issue since I feel I am not getting the advertised battery life.  Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@TS_25 

Probably 7% is the default percentage on your machine. You can change it to lower % and/or notify you when too low .... Please use the following steps

• Right click Battery icon,
  • Select Power Options,
  • Select Change Plan settings (current plan)
  • Change Advanced Power settings
  • Now you can scroll down to the end (Battery section) to select what you want
  • Click OK/Apply to get out  

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
Hi Banhien, Thanks for the reply. These are exactly the steps I followed. The only difference is that if I enter a value of below 7% for the critical battery level setting, it will change back to 7% right before my eyes if I hit Enter, Apply, OK etc. It will let me adjust the setting upwards, and it will stay there at the higher setting but will never stay when I lower it below 7%. It also won’t let me change the Critical Battery Level Action setting to ‘Do Nothing’... the only options are Hibernate or Shut Down, therefore my laptop becomes unusable at 7% battery which is a little frustrating. I was just wondering if this is something hard coded into HP laptops, or is there somewhere else in windows I can adjust it. Thanks!
HP Recommended

Anybody else? The first answer didn't really address my true question, and only listed something I had already found and via google searches. Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.