Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-df1033dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When is HP Support going to support Windows 10 v2004 and update the device drivers for the HP Spectre 15-df1033dx?

Windows Update upgraded the Windows 10 to version 2004 back in May 2020. I have yet to see an caution from HP Support to delay the update to version 2004, because of lack of updated drivers.

My touch pad device drivers are obsolete and cause the mouse cursor to act erratic. I've had to disable all touch pad related device drivers on my HP Notebook, because HP Support has failed to support the latest version of Windows 10 on the Spectre 15-df1033dx. It appears that HP Support has posted drivers for some of their lower end notebooks, but not the higher end Spectre.

HP Support device drivers specified for previous versions of Windows 10 will not install on a Windows 10 version 2004 system.

The solution is updated device drivers that support Windows 10 version 2004.

How much longer must we wait for HP Support to post updated drivers on the 15-df1033dx software and device driver download page?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@golden79 

From what I recall, MS BLOCKED the v20.04 update from installing on PCs until very recently.  So, if your PC updated in May, that is most likely because YOU did the update, not Microsoft or HP.

I wrote a TKB article a while back advising AGAINST doing that update -- and linked it to the MS article that listed over a dozen serious issues with the update.  You obviously did not read that article, or you would not have done the upate.

As to the driver updates, Win10 v20.04 continues to have issues to this day.  Even though MS claims to have fixed most of them, new ones come out all the time -- and MS has not fixed those.  Until MS stops making changes to Win10 on a weekly basis, HP does not have a stable OS platform with which to develop and test driver changes.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood

The version 2004 update was presented by Windows Update in May 2020. I didn't install it from a website, nor did I seek it out to install. At first, I didn't notice any issues, but a couple of weeks after the OS upgrade, my mouse cursor became very erratic to the point that my system behaved as if it was infected with a very malicious virus.

Most of the issues I've observed with the version 2004 OS upgrade have been resolved through additional Windows Updates, but the touch pad driver is still a problem. Also, all of the device driver updates, specified for a previous version of Windows 10, posted on the HP Support webpage will not install on a version 2004 system.

HP Support has posted device driver updates in support of version 2004 for some of their lower end notebooks as early as June 2020. They have posted an update for the finger print sensor, but nothing else.

It's about time for HP Support to either post the updated software and device drivers, or post a notice as to when these essential updates will be updated and posted on the HP Support website.

If it was HP Support's policy to hold off on the version 2004 update, they should have made it known. They didn't.

HP Recommended

@golden79 

I have to take your word for it -- but I am surprised because I wasn't aware that MS was making the update available to anyone.  

I had nearly a dozen different PCs running Win10 v19.09 and NONE of them got offered the update until a few weeks ago -- and when I checked the MS threads for the issues they posted, NONE of the PCs had any of these issues.  So, I presumed that MS was blocking the update for everyone -- guess I was wrong.

And you are right about the driver issue -- regarding updates and warnings -- but HP does not share any plans or schedules with us regarding any updates, so there is nothing I can pass along to you.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

This HP notebook is my first Windows 10 PC. If I had known that Windows 10 version updates were so risky, I wouldn't have upgraded. I viewed the Windows 10 version update like a Windows 7 service pack update. I never had such a problem with Windows 7.

***bleep*** It's totally unacceptable for HP Support to take so long to update their OEM device drivers. And, they give no indication as to when their version 2004 device drivers will be available, if ever.

If HP Support can't provide updated device drivers timely, they should design their systems to use the device manufacturer's device drivers like I do for my custom built desktops.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.