Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15-bw052od
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer was running slow all of a sudden. I tried a restart.  It hasn't been able to load Windows 10 to a login screen.  I have tried restarts without a battery and I can see the HP logo and Diagnosing your PC.  It won't get passed this to what I've read is a magic screen that has some options.  How long do I wait?  I've waited over an hour with no success and have tried again. I've seen people say they have tried 12 hours with no success in my situation.  This is pretty frustrating.  Does anyone with an HP 15-bw model have other ways to get to the desktop or into a safe mode reboot?  Is this what we can expect from Windows 10? It's been very disappointing. This happens every couple months.  I'll have a great fast computer and then this will happen.  I'd guess it's an update issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

2 "magic" screens you may find useful.

Immediately after powering on start tapping the Esc key. This will open a menu where F2 System Diagnostics is an option. Tap F2 key and run the tests.

Immediately after powering on start tapping the Esc key. Then tap F11.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

2 "magic" screens you may find useful.

Immediately after powering on start tapping the Esc key. This will open a menu where F2 System Diagnostics is an option. Tap F2 key and run the tests.

Immediately after powering on start tapping the Esc key. Then tap F11.

HP Recommended

Thank you CherylG. 

Your advice was very helpful.  Now my laptop is performing well again.  I did use F2  to run some quick tests after things seemed to be working smoothly and it says I have a memory failure in Memory Module 2(right). Failure ID: 930CXD-8PA93K-XD7URG-40HD03.  Are these tests reliable and does this mean I have a RAM issue?  Do you have a suggestion?  It seems to be working fine right now, but the test result has me a bit worrried.

thanks again

HP Recommended

@bb2088

While the test is usually pretty accurate it isn't bullet-proof. I have seen it pass hardware that is actually failng but usually in relation to hard drive. If your laptop is working well now you might prefer to just ignore the message for now. Just keep in mind that if the memory is displaying faults in Diagnostics it may well fail  in the future and require being replaced.

If you open Task Manager and go to Performance tab does it show all of your memory is recognized?

HP Recommended

Thanks again CherylG.  It does display all of it in task manager.  I appreciate your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.