Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-bs162sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I've had my laptop for 3 years and this year I’ve noticed it is very slow. It can take a while to open Chrome or other applications. When I open task manager I’ve noticed the disk column is always  

at 100%. 

Has anyone had a similar problem and knows how to resolve this? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Ray_well_ 

The disk utilization at 100% is a routine side-effect of Windows Updates, which get downloaded and installed automatically each and every week.  But once that is done, the utilization should drop of dramatically.

This slowness issue is often due to a failing drive. So, let's check that first, because if it is failing, it would need to be replaced and there is no point then in doing anything else until we confirm that.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu
3) Press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi @WAWood , many thanks for your response.

I did the disc check as you suggested and it passed all the checks, so the drive must be fine? (see image below). 

I also turned off automatic windows updates a few days ago and that hasn’t altered the disc %. 

Is there anything I can try next?

thanks for your help.

17F9D4E4-156A-4B8A-915E-A5E611AB9319.jpeg

HP Recommended

@Ray_well_ 

OK, good.

Open Task Manager again, the performance tab, and look a the various disk entries on the left and click on each of them -- to see which one is reporting 100%.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.