Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@roses2fr wrote:

[SOLVED]!!!!!!!!!!!!

...but with one slight problem: my Win 7 Ult 32-bit drive doesn't boot up from it anymore.

Am considering downgrading back to BIOS F.OD (if that is possible - I suspect not) as the the whole purpose of the exercise was to find out if my new SATA caddy adapter for the CD-ROM drive bay works. It doesn't!!!

I'll wait and see for the replacement to come in case the first one was defective in the factory or got damaged in transit.

HP Recommended

Seriously...."the end of time"? Wow. 

And I appreciate the thanks but you gave yourself the solution so thank yourself. 

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

You'd betta believe it, bruvva!!!

And that goes for every other manufacturer too, not just of electronic goods too.

That's why our world is  currently in such an environmental mess - in this throwaway society, people receive such a message from HP telling them their laptop is "obsolete", and they blindly follow their advice, they chuck it out, and go buy a new one. I can't afford to do that and my moral conscience doesn't allow me to either (although I admit I'm not perfect in these areas either).

This is what another HP support representative genuinely told me a few days ago:

"As the unit is end of life a  BIOS update is not recommend [sic] for this unit, however for better performance if you wish to upgrade to a newer HP unit, please contact [sic] HP reseller to source  a newer HP unit. Regards, Manoj Mishra  | HP Inc.  Customer Support"

I find his comment DEEPLY OFFENSIVE to assume that money grows on trees for me and that is as easy as just saying it to go "source a new unit".

And you see what I mean when I tell you the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at HP? The day before, his colleague had told me "yes indeed, F.20 is the most current and latest update for your machine". Totally contradictory and badly trained.

It used to be that the western world shipped all its old electronic devices to places like India and China for "reprocessing and recycling", but they are now so inundated they are turning away hundreds of containers full of what HP call "obsolete" devices and these are just going into landfill (or the oceans) to pollute our planet for our children and children's children, Second rant over.

HP Recommended

There is a balance to be found that allows economic activity to occur and still take reasonable steps for environmental protection. Extremism on either end is not the solution. If you think you have trouble buying new electronics under the current system of limited time support imagine how much a computer would cost if manufacturers were forced to support their products ad infinitum. 

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

And I appreciate the thanks but you gave yourself the solution so thank yourself. 

But you shone the torch ahead of me to light my way.

And told me to keep going. 

And gave me the insight that it might be a two-step process, which I wouldn't have thought of for myself in a million years.

So be gracious and accept my thanks.

Can you PM me if you have a website of your old machines. I'm very interested to see what you have and how you keep them all running.

HP Recommended

I got it believe me you had no chance of solving this on your own. Enjoy and good luck.  

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

There is a balance to be found that allows economic activity to occur and still take reasonable steps for environmental protection. Extremism on either end is not the solution. If you think you have trouble buying new electronics under the current system of limited time support imagine how much a computer would cost if manufacturers were forced to support their products ad infinitum. 

Again, point(s) well made and taken, but AFAIC we are still a long way from extremism in our attitudes to environmental damage, pollution and climate change, to name just a few things.

But I think manufacturers such as HP are not doing enough with their revenues and profits and I believe they have a policy (although not made public of course)  of planned obsolence so they can introduce new products and generate even more income. How hard and expensive can it be for them to ask a technician to check whether BIOS F.20 runs on W7 or higher, and if not to tweak it so it does work?

There's the famous case in the early 20th century when the phonograph was first introuduced. The machines themselves were not that expensive (and sometimes sold at a loss) but the manufacturer (was it Edison?) made all their money on selling new needles which wore out very quickly and needed to be replaced. Another manufacturer developed an everlasting needle but it never made it to market. Why? Because Edison bought them out and quashed further development as it would decrease and harm their future sales. (I may have some of the details of this story incorrect, but the gist is there.)

Likewise, HP tell me my 6715b is obsolete and don't tell me how to upgrade it cos all they want is my money to buy a new one. But I will never give HP my custom again after this debacle.

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

I got it believe me you had no chance of solving this on your own. Enjoy and good luck.  

Your good luck wishes REALLY worked. Win 7 now boots up without issues.

I don't know what I did, but maybe I just wasn't patient enough waiting for it.

All's well that ends well!!!

Cheers, mate. I owe you a pint.

HP Recommended

Well done guys!

I too am suffering with the issues with the fans, so will look to follow your steps to resolve.

2 quick questions:

1) have you the links you used for the BIOS files?;

2) has it actually made any difference to the fan noise?

Many thanks.

HP Recommended

Which model of laptop do you have, and which exact version of Windows are you running?

And what exactly is your issue with the fan? Overheating?

I think you can just do a Google search for the SP numbers mentioned, but make sure it directs to you the HP site and not a third party.

Or, just go to the HP support page and enter your model number. To get the files enter your OS as Vista or XP. (That's what I did wrong first time, put in W7 but because HP in their infinite wisdom have not tested this OS with the 6715b (= too lazy), no BIOS updates will show).

Just a simple thing: have you tried cleaning the fan? Or even replacing it (they're not expensive and it's not such a difficult procedure)?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.