Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ap0018TU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After I selected Win 10 Shutdown when the Power Button light was still on, I immediately closed the lit. I noticed the next morning, the battery power dropped from 100 to 95%. Should I wait until the Power Button light turns off before closing the lit?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@IanN1 

Resetting the ACPI battery driver may take care of this,

There will be a hard reset mixed in as well, so the two methods combined typically help a lot with battery issues.

• 1. Go to Start, search for Device Manager, and open this result.
  • 2. Expand batteries.
  • 3. Right-click on the ACPI option (usually the 2nd option) and select delete or uninstall. Follow the prompts.
  • 4. Shut down the computer. 
  • 5. Disconnect the charger.
  • 6. Remove the battery.
  • 7. Hold down the power button for 1 minute.
  • 8. Insert the battery only.
  • 9. Attempt to turn the battery on.
    • If this had an impact, it should behave differently.
    • If not, Press the power button and then tap the F2 key to invoke the startup menu.

• Choose and click on the F10 key to invoke the BIOS.
  • Use the System Configuration tab. Disable USB Charging and press the F10 key to save the changes and boot into Windows.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@IanN1
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

To get the answer to this question, after the power button is pushed wait until the computer completely power off and then you close the lid. 

I would recommend you to follow this method to shut down the computer. You can press the Alt + F4 keys on your keyboard to open the shutdown menu. In the ShutDown Windows dialog window, you can open the drop-down list to choose whether to shut down, restart or put the device to sleep.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Is there any difference between the Alt + F4 short cut to shutdown my notebook PC and the Start > Power Menu > Shutdown?

HP Recommended

@IanN1
Thank you for posting back. 

There's no difference in both method, it just an easy way to shut down the computer. 

In both the way you can shut down the computer and it will function the same. 

Please click Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Is it important to wait until the power light on my Spectre is turned off before closing the lit? What if I select Shutdown and immediately close the lit? Will this interrupt the Shutdown process?

HP Recommended

@IanN1

Yes! it is very important to wait until the computer shut down completely before closing the LID.

Closing the lid immediately will interrupt the shutdown process, Hence it always recommended to close all the apps and programme before shutting down the computer. 

Please click “Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Nothing seems to stop the power drain after Shutdown!

I charged my Spectre to 100% and then selected Shutdown. I waited for the power white light to turn off before closing the lid. It seemed to hold charge @ 100% for about one day and then the battery power began to drain around 3-5% a day. I even disabled my USB Charging in the BIOS but it didn't work. I believe there is something draining the battery slowly. Either there is some hardware malfunction  or some apps are running silently to monitor the machine's activity.

By the way, is there a Fast-Boot function on this machine that I could switch off? I heard Fast-Boot drains battery power.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@IanN1 

Resetting the ACPI battery driver may take care of this,

There will be a hard reset mixed in as well, so the two methods combined typically help a lot with battery issues.

• 1. Go to Start, search for Device Manager, and open this result.
  • 2. Expand batteries.
  • 3. Right-click on the ACPI option (usually the 2nd option) and select delete or uninstall. Follow the prompts.
  • 4. Shut down the computer. 
  • 5. Disconnect the charger.
  • 6. Remove the battery.
  • 7. Hold down the power button for 1 minute.
  • 8. Insert the battery only.
  • 9. Attempt to turn the battery on.
    • If this had an impact, it should behave differently.
    • If not, Press the power button and then tap the F2 key to invoke the startup menu.

• Choose and click on the F10 key to invoke the BIOS.
  • Use the System Configuration tab. Disable USB Charging and press the F10 key to save the changes and boot into Windows.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Spectre doesn't have a removable battery! Should I skip this procedure?

HP Recommended

@IanN1
Thank you for posting back. 

Yes! you can skip those steps and complete the ACPI troubleshooting steps. 

Keep me posted!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.