Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY-15t-as100 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hell All:

When I was using wXP, I used GHOST to backup/recovere my OS. GHOST did fonderful work, 

it's a great software.

Now I am using w10, it has build-in SYSTEM-RESTORE-POINT and SYSTEM-RESTORE. I felt they 

are doing the work of BACKUP/RECOVERY, but simpler than GHOST.  

My friends told me even in the w10, we need to install a BACKUP/RECOVERY software!

I know it is very important to backup the OS.  Is   it  necessary to install a BACKUP/RECOVERY software

for w10?!  

--Zhao

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I use it all the time. I just upgraded the SSD in my Spectre from a 256 gig to a 512 gig and I used the Windows 10 backup with system image. Worked perfectly and I would say I have probably done a dozen or more such restorations. 

It is probably true that using a paid for backup and recovery app is even better and even more reliable but the Windows Backup with system image is pretty darn good for free. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Since Windows 7 you have been able to make a Windows backup with system image from Windows itself. Just need an external drive of sufficient capacity to store the system image/backup. In Windows 10 go to settings/update and security/backup and choose go to backup and restore windows 7. Choose your external disk and make the backup include a system image and with a Windows 10 disk you can restore your sytem with all apps and files just like a Ghost image. 

HP Recommended

Hello Provost:

Reading your answer, I feel " this is a important answer"

BUT my pc experience is from wXP jumped to w10. Basically 

I don't know w7. 

In this case, could you tell me more details?                  --Zhao

HP Recommended

Hello Provost:

You said: ".....to make a Windows backup with system image from Windows itself......"

Do you mean: For w10, to make system BACKUP/RECOVER, as GHOST does, can use w10

build-in BACKUP-RECOVER function except the system-restore-point and restore?

In the past, I only know w10 has system-restore-point and restore, never herd of w10

also has BACKUP-RECOVER function. Thank you point out it to me.

BUT one friend yesterday told me that the build-in BACKUP-RECOVER function is not good,

often failure.

Is this saying believable?  I think it is hard to be true!

Could you please tell me your knowing about it?                 -- Zhao

HP Recommended

I use it all the time. I just upgraded the SSD in my Spectre from a 256 gig to a 512 gig and I used the Windows 10 backup with system image. Worked perfectly and I would say I have probably done a dozen or more such restorations. 

It is probably true that using a paid for backup and recovery app is even better and even more reliable but the Windows Backup with system image is pretty darn good for free. 

HP Recommended

Hello Provost:

On the same hard disk of C:, I set up a new partition named New Volumn. I try to use 

this partition to save BACKUP-FILE.

Follow your instruction, I found: "Go to backup and Restore(windows 7)" and tried to do

the backup.  BUT it says: 

We recommend that you  save your backup on an external hard drive.

Do I have to use an external hard drive?  I have no experience of useing 2nd hard drive

for laptop.  If is have to, please tell how to?

-- Zhao

HP Recommended

Yes it does no good to do backup on the same drive. If it fails you won't be able to access the backup. You need an external hard drive, which is something I would recommend everyone have for backup. 

https://www.amazon.com/500GB-Portable-External-Drive-Black/dp/B01H2XCTBU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1508...

HP Recommended

Hello Provost:

Based on your reply, I checked the Internet. The external hard disk is: Portable External Hard Drive.

Does it connect to the LAPTOP by USB 3.0 like the flesh-drive?  If it is so, why can not use USB flesh-drive?

When you are not doing BACKUP/RECOVERY, can you move away the external-hard-drive?

As I told you I have no experience of 2nd hard drive for laptop, sorry for the simple question!

-- Zhao

PS: By the way, your reply are very soon in the late afternoon. You are a volunteer,

how many hours are you volunteering?

HP Recommended

I am able to check the boards pretty often. Yes, the external hard drive plugs into usb and you could use a usb flash drive but it would have to be a pretty big one, like at least a 128 gig. It has to make a copy of the whole hard drive.

HP Recommended

Hello Provost:

The size of Portable External Hard Disk has from 500 GB to 5T, which one is best?

-- Zhao

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.