Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi Paul

Yes, you are correct.  I was, indeed, using the same laptop to create the flashdrive!  I just assumed one had to use another laptop if the "problem" laptop was not working.

I managed to find someone with a suitable laptop to create the drive for me.  On reaching the "what's to be done with the Application information contained on the flashdrive, update this PC  or create a flash drive" section, I selected the update this PC option.

Unfortunately, once again the system indicates for me to create 8GB more space.

How do I get pass this stage, please?  I just assumed once the download of the flash drive information commenced, it would override the existing information on the laptop but it's not doing so.

Am I missing something, again?

Regards

Mojah

HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't understand the problem.

If you made a bootable W10 USB flash drive using the Media creation tool, you plug it into your Stream's USB port.

Turn on or restart the PC.

Immediately start tapping the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu.

Select the USB flash drive and press the Enter key.  It may be listed as a USB diskette on key/USB hard drive.

The PC should boot from the flash drive.

You click on the Install Now button and you select the Custom option, not the upgrade option.

Then follow the steps I posted the other day to delete all partitions on the hard drive, etc.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul

Aaah! That's the part I was missing, restarting the PC with flash drive inserted, as opposed to just inserting it since it was already on when the flash drive was given to me. 

That's the thing about this whole experience.  I am learning a lot as we progress - I feel like I'm slowly making my way along, in a strange place, in total darkness, being guided only by the torchlight of your words ...

Okay, I've reached the F9 Boot Device Options.  Only two options are displayed, neither refers to "USB":

"OS boot Manager (UEFI) - Windows Boot Manager (BJNB4R)" 

"Boot from EFI  File"

I have selected both - just to be sure.  Each one starts my laptop, as you mentioned, but neither produces an "Install Now" option.

I've even gone ahead and logged in, hoping that might move things along but still no option to install appears.

Any more advice, please?

Thank you

Maureen

HP Recommended

Hi, Maureen:

Yes, you are getting there.

It is strange the USB flash drive is not showing up as a bootable device.

So...do the ESC key thing again, and this time select the F10 setup option and press the enter key.

Enable Legacy mode and disable secure boot.  See this link for general information on the subject.

https://www.support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03736054/

Then save the settings, exit the BIOS, do the F9 thing again and see if the USB flash drive/diskette on key shows up under the Legacy boot sources listing.

If it does, select it and press the enter key and you should be off to the races.

By the time this is over, you are going to know more than you ever wanted to know about reinstalling W10.  😊

HP Recommended

Hi Paul

The updated saga of the quest to reinstall the correct operating system continues thus:

Last night, I followed your instructions/the steps provided in the link you kindly posted. 

All went well until the CD/DVD part number 3, just above figure 7 "Boot Option Menu".  That CD etc wording did not appear in the F9 booting options once I restarted after pressing F10 to accept changes and entered the 4 digit number to confirm system configuration update.  The only options still offered were the two I originally typed in my previous posting.  

The SanDisk option only appeared when I inserted it and then restarted the laptop, with it in, as opposed to it being given as an option, without the SanDisk already being inserted.  

I tried it anyway, selected enter on the SanDisk option and, horror, it stated "No bootable device - enter a bootable disk and press any key to continue".  No matter what I pressed, the system did not accept any other instruction, just kept repeating itself, until I pressed the start button to turn it off.  I noted it requested a disk and not a USB.

Earlier today, I ended up handing my laptop to a more tech savvy friend who went over the steps you gave, regarding downloading the BIOS, but this time he "built the application" on his own laptop before downloading it, again, to the flash drive.  Once the flash drive was inserted into my laptop, the original Windows (Core) then began to download, as you advised it would.

Phew!  😁😅

My main concern now, are the updates.  How to ensure I do not accept any updates that will drastically change my laptop OS again, whilst accepting updates fit for the reinstated OS?

(This is a long post but I wanted to share my exact experience, for your knowledge, Paul, as well as anyone else who has found themself in my position).

As I type, there are five  updates lined up to install:

== 2020-06  Cumulative update for Windows 10 version 2004

== Intel - net

== 2020-06  Security update for Adobe Flash player

== Windows Malicious software removal

== Elan - mouse

I understand they are okay to allow to be installed?

Once the above query has been resolved, all I have left to do is find Word, PowerPoint, etc 2016 applications, all of which I had to wipe whilst trying to make more room on my laptop.  I originally got them, discounted, as a perk from my old office position … 🤔

Regards

Maureen

HP Recommended

Hi Paul

Any further words of advice, in relation to my additional queries, please?

Many thanks

Mojah

HP Recommended

Hi, Maureen:

Glad you got W10 installed again.

For some reason I was not notified of your reply on July 28th, but received your latest one, which is why I didn't answer sooner.

It should be OK to install all of the updates you listed.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul

Okay.

Thank you very much for all of your help with my elongated query. 😁

Stay well, take care.

Kind regards

Mojah

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

You stay well too and let's hope they are close to releasing a vaccine so we can get back to normal.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.