Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently noticed that some files and also folders are appearing in various folders on my pc, these are in the form of either duplicate files or shortcut to folders which appear dull in colur to other folders. I scanned for viruses but the results claim that there are none. There sizes range from 0 bytes up GB. Is this some kind of virus? what can i do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

From your screenshot, there are few system files/folders, they should be hidden.  Please go to File Explorer, click View and untick Hidden files.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

No, this is the way Windows 10 works. You can turn them off by remove Recent Files (files/folders/drives). Please try:

http://www.howtogeek.com/236711/how-to-turn-off-recent-items-and-frequent-places-in-windows-10/

or shorter way:

• Open File Explorer
  • Go to the View section from the top bar
  • Click on Options
  • Look for the “Open File Explorer to” dropdown
  • Click on the drop-down and change “Quick Access” to “This PC” and click on OK
  • After that, close File Explorer and reopen it to see the change in action.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for assisstance however i've tried the methods suggested and the problem is stiil there. i think its more than just quick accessCapture.PNG

HP Recommended

Hi,

From your screenshot, there are few system files/folders, they should be hidden.  Please go to File Explorer, click View and untick Hidden files.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Every computer has some files are the same name because software is similar from one computer to the next. Some times I use Duplicate Files Deleter.

HP Recommended

thanks for sharing the steps, now i am able to click on the file explorer and the the 'working on it'  sign no more appear and no longer need to wait.:ThumbUp:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.