Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy M7 touch
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm hoping someone can help.

When trying to boot under normal or safeboot, I get a blue screen with the error code 0xc-000021A. 

I tried Recovery Manager, but get the error message: Can't open file: X\sources\recovery\Tools\Rita-tool.

I then tried Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - System Repair, but it failed

Next I tried using a restore point, but there aren't any (This is a friend's computer)

I tried Troubleshoot - Reset this PC (both destructive and non destructive) each time, it'll get to about 60%, then it asks if I want to clear TPM - whether I answer yes or no, it reboots then I get the same error: 0xc-000021A.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I just ordered the disks.

Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @jeepined

Thank you for posting in HP support forum!

I am sorry about the issue you experience. I will be glad to help you solve your computer related issues.

Your problem is known as Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). BSOD is kind of Windows self-protection feature. If you received a blue screen error, or stop code, the computer has shut down abruptly to protect itself from data loss. A hardware device, its driver, or related software might have caused this error.What you describe could happen because of incompatible with Windows driver (most often) or because of hardware issue (rarely).

In your specific case, the error is 0xC000021A.This issue you are currently facing is related to the Blue Screen error code STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED

Happens due to

• Incorrectly configured, old, or corrupted device drivers. (very common)
  • Corruption in Windows registry from a recent software change (install or uninstall).
  • Virus or malware infection that has corrupted Windows system files or Windows Operating System-related program files (common)
  • Driver conflict after installing new hardware.
  • Damaged or removed system files after you’ve installed software or drivers related to Windows Operating System.

For more reference, you may refer to the Microsoft official description > https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560177(v=vs.85).aspx

I try to say that it looks like software issue.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

As it looks like software issue and since you already started the recovery and reached to certain %, the only option left is to restart the recovery process which will reinstall the operating system.

The Rita Tool error is known issue with HP recovery tool, you can read for it here > http://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c04758961 , this issue can only be fixed if you can boot to Windows desktop which is not the case here.

Steps for fixing the issue will be using original HP supplied recovery tool  OR  Windows 10 image.

* Did the PC come with Win 10 preinstalled or it has older Windows version initially ?

Just to be 100% sure,please - perform some basic hardware checks

1. Please, shutdown the computer using the power button

2. Power it on.

2.1 As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu which may look similar to this one

3. Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform System Test >> Quick test.

This will check major hardware componets for issue (do it just in case) . Here is more info >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259#AbT1

If there are no system checks/no quick tests, perform HDD and RAM check.

Let me know the test results.

In order to provide you with specific instructions for the recovery process and tool, please also post the full computer model and product number. Here is how to find them >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Thank you for your cooperation in advance.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

It's running the system test now. 

I'll update when it's done (est 51 min.)

Thank you!

HP Recommended

It passed all tests

Computer Model# M7-N101dx

Product# M1W07UA#ABA

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi @jeepined

Thank you for the update and for following the instruction. This is good news and was expected as mentioned initially this is software issue.

In order to completely fix the issue, you will need to obtain (purchase) HP Recovery media.

Based on the provided info, this is the one you need for your model > http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-28286-windows-10-1-highend-recovery-kit-856492-001-for-hp-envy-not...

Using it you will be able to reinstall Windows, reinstall drivers and certain preinstalled apps and to restore the PC to factory default condition.

** Once you receive the recovery kit, boot the PC from the first DVD and proceed.

Here are full detailed instructions (step by step with pictures)  >> http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=HPSystemRecovery.net&section=ccweb&SFS=tdoc&language=english...

I hope this helps. Please, provide feedback, do not hesitate to post again if you face difficulties and let me know how it goes.

HP Recommended

I just ordered the disks.

Thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

You are welcome

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.