Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 15-bp108ng

I have an HP Envy  x360 15-bp108ng. I want to dual boot linux on this machine, ideally Ubuntu, Elementary or Fedora. How well does it work? I've only seen posts about the Envy x360 with the Ryzen CPU, but I've got the i5 8th Gen.

This laptop has an SSD and an HDD - would it be possible to boot linux off the HDD while Windows continues to boot off of the SSD?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@ojasm

Let's get to the second issue first -- distributing the two OSs between the two drives.

This would be VERY HARD to do, as this would involve migrating the Windows OS to the HDD and then forcing a boot from that drive -- which will be very difficult to do and something I would advise against attempting. 

Even you do do that, Windows takes a while to boot and if you force moving it off the SSD to the HDD, it will take a much longer time to boot (and will run slower) than it does now. Unless your goal is to stop using Windows on a daily basis, I would strongly advise against doing this.

Second, HP does not provide Linux support to consumers, so you are taking on responsibility for installing and maintaining the Linux install on your own.  If you later run into problems and send the PC to HP for repair, since you installed a second OS, HP would be withing their rights to refuse to work on it. 

Third, since your PC came with Win10 preinstalled, then it is most certainly a UEFI PC, not BIOS -- and that poses entirely new problems for installing a second OS.

-----------------------------------------

Your best bet for Linux support, since HP does not provide Linux support to consumers, not does it provide Linux drivers, is to contact the support forum for the Linux distro you are trying to install. Folks there have experience using HP machines with Linux and know a lot about driver sources and installation issues.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.