Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 13 laptop 13ah0501na (2019)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I did try to keep this reasonably short, but it's not easy when I don't know what could be relevant, and I couldn't find any guide here re maximum verbiage per post, but it's about 1,500 words (so I'm probably about to find out!).  And if the formatting is weird I'll edit it accordingly (it's a Google Doc in my phone; done in odd sessions over several days, so enough to defeat any forum autosave!). 

I'm pretty sure the problem's not HP's fault, or a hardware one.  I've no idea if it's my fault, Windows' fault or something else's, but things seem to point to a driver problem.  I've found many instances of this particular BSOD on the web re Windows 10, but couldn't find any previous scenarios quite similar enough to help with this case (despite advanced searches and many permutations of keywords). 

The laptop is a recently bought HP Envy 13ah0501na (2019), no. 4AZ74EA#ABU.  My first computer being a I986 MSDos one, I'm well used to fiddling about with low level settings etc (and the Dos is still proving useful!), but I'm new to HP computers.  And perhaps I should explain that so far I haven't been able to access any manual or other user instructions.  I didn't get as far as doing that in the few days when I was able to start the laptop.  Though I later found some HP user info online via my phone, it looked as if it could only be accessed from the laptop itself.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong!).  Windows 10 is also new to me (my last version being Vista and the previous one 98SE, and both configured by a minimalist!).  And so is the Edge browser and no doubt some other applications.  (And it's 13 years since I last bought a computer apart from my Android smartphone)

It's an 'aftermarket' laptop, but I think it's just been on display somewhere, as it had lost any instructions/other papers/disk that maybe they have in the box originally.  That aside, I had a strong impression of everything about the laptop being straight out of the box, including the software just as listed in reviews and adverts.  (The sellers ran some tests on it before issuing their own warranty, but I don't think they will have disturbed the way it was set up originally)..

The internet is via a home wifi LAN, connected to mobile/cell internet by a router with its own firewall.  The LAN is currently shared with just my phone and a printer.  It's just the two of us here, intruders are unlikely, the laptop will normally never leave the house, and I haven't yet created any user accounts in it (it still has just the one account called User that it came with).  I intend to create user accounts soon, but wanted to give it some thought.  (When some file(s) in my previous computer got corrupted, I was locked out of it because I hadn't set up our user accounts quite correctly).  But if creating one or more will help resolve the current problem, I'm sure I'll find plenty of help on the web.

The BSOD happened on about the 2nd day after I first turned on the laptop, and I haven't yet changed any settings apart from stopping Windows Sounds and terminating Cortana.  When the blue screen appeared I was following my first to-do list, which started with installing security software, then Firefox (which I'm used to), then my printer's software.  (I wanted to print out some info to refer to, including laptop and Windows 10 info, list of apps & features, and current instructions for updating Windows and re any problem updates there may be).  Next after that came updating Windows.  

Prior to this, I'd only enabled internet connection for one brief check that I could see a trusted web page with Edge.  The security software is a prepaid sub to Norton Lifelock 360 Deluxe that I added to the laptop purchase.  The installation went smoothly, and it seems a sophisticated program.  I'd found that Windows Defender now stops itself when detecting 3rd-party security software, and thought that was any conflicts out of the way, until Norton requested the go-ahead for it to uninstall McAfee Security.  (I've hardly started exploring what's installed, and had assumed the McAfee file was just a link to use if we chose to install it).

The real-world installation sequence then went; Norton Safe Web (which I turned on), Firefox, Thunderbird, the first of the printer files, Norton Password Manager, Microsoft Your Phone (suggested by a popup; on the phone being detected I think), and more of the printer files (none of which have yet been used).  In case it's relevant, they're the latest for that printer, and those installed so far are dated from 2015 to 2019.  Before I'd downloaded all the printer software items, a popup appeared urging me to update Windows, the preinstalled version being near end of service.  That was ver. 1809, OS build 17763.1282, codename Redstone 5).  As the Windows popup was persistent and hid bits of the page I was using, I went ahead with the update.

It took a long time, though some of that may be due to waiting for input (I only just noticed the requests among the quite cluttered Windows 10 interface, and didn't know how long they'd been there).  Also our internet is quite slow by today's standards (it's a rural area).

The Windows update completed, the home screen reappeared, then another notification appeared, re updating Microsoft Edge, which I did.  I can't remember if it was that, or installing Norton Password Manager earlier, that prompted removing the Norton Password Manager extension for Edge, but I did that too.  Being past bedtime I shut the computer down for the night (as necessary in this house).

On startup in the morning, the normal home screen appeared, including all its usual 'tiles' or whatever they're called, but only for a few seconds before the blue screen took over.  It said WHEA Uncorrectable Error, that it would attempt a repair, and not to shut down until it was finished.  It took a long time to reach 100% progress, then the blue screen remained, with no further sign of anything happening (or clue about what to do next).   I left it alone for about an hour in case of the work continuing in the background, but no change.  A restart, a long shutdown, and a few startup attempts over the next couple of days were all a repeat of the first blue screen event, apart from maybe reaching 100% a bit faster.  (I was a bit wary of constant startup attempts, remembering Vista startup/shutdown issues that were cumulative).

I don't know what all the keys do, or how to find out at the moment (and it wasn't a good time for trial-and-error with function keys), but with the correct one thanks to this forum I was able to access the Recovery Options, which were very like the ones I was familiar with under Vista.  Most of the options required an existing user password, but I was still able to access Advanced Options, and through that the Startup Settings, including a restart into Safe Mode (the only option I could try safely without knowing what the next step is), and that worked.  I can also access Safe Mode with Networking (though don't know if non-admins can connect).  At that point I noticed 'Admin' on the page (maybe a 'default admin' account, like one I unintentionally removed in Vista?)

Looking round in Safe Mode, I saw HP Command Centre and tried it.  Along with About and Settings (including Update & Security, Recovery and Windows Updates) was System Information.  In System Summary, the Windows version (originally 1809, OS build 17763.1282 Redstone 5) was now 10.0.18362.  (I could easily post photos of any screens that would help, but don't know what all the items mean, or which (if any) to avoid posting ('Username' maybe, in System Summary?).  I did notice that Secure Boot State was on, and remembered that disabling it (and/or Quick Start or similar) used to be something to try with startup/shutdown issues, but it must be about 10 years since I've done that).

In Software Environment, the Startup Programs (another thing I hadn't got round to looking at before the BSOD) included 3 OneDrive items, with 2 instances of OneDrive Setup.  In Windows Error Reporting, there was a bunch of items under 'Fault Bucket', spanning the 4 days from the day of the original BSOD to the day I stopped turning the laptop on.  All the items were identical (and I don't think very specific), except for 2 instances of Memory Corruption, one in about the middle of day 2 and the other at the end of day 4.

One reason it's maybe my fault is that I didn't disable Norton Security during the Windows update.  It's 4 years since I last used a Windows device, and it wasn't until afterwards that I remembered disabling security softwarebwhile installing Vista and/or 98SE updates.  But I don't know if it's still done, or if it would have been possible with the Windows Updates popup on the screen.  Maybe the Norton software even stays out of the way on detecting Windows updates (I've only used the more basic free security programs before).

But enough speculation already.  Thank you for reading this far!

If I'm slow to respond it's nothing personal, just time zones (I'm in Ireland), and living with an early-nighter.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@polygony

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

Please perform the System Recovery using the HP Recovery Media

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file inorder to install Windows operating system. Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06162205 to Use the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7)

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961#AbT3 to perform a System Recovery (Windows 10)

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended
Spoiler

Thank you for reading through my problem, and for your suggestion.

As it happens, I'm just composing a post about having found out what probably caused the problem.  It'll make it easier to decide on the plan of action.  (Once I've finished reading up on the recovery options; I think I've found them all, and step by step instructions).  I'd like to finish printing them out (easier to think straight that way than through the little window of my phone screen!), and not rush into anything.  (I didn't have a chance to add any data to the laptop, and am used to using the phone for everthing).

Whether I can use the HP (or any other) recovery media depends on whether I can download them from Safe Mode, which I haven't found out yet.  The few people I know with a computer I could use are quite a long drive away (and Covid now gets in the way).  And the public computer in our nearest town won't write to/read from USB (rightly in a public one I guess).  I'd also like to find out before doing it what choice there is (if any) of Windows build.

I will send feedback to Microsoft, but maybe after a few more details have emerged (unless we can do it more than once per topic?)

Meanwhile, Episode 2 later today might just alert somebody to a not long known Windows issue...

HP Recommended

Progress (of sorts!).  10 days (and counting) after the 3 days when my new laptop could start normally, I think I know what the culprit is, which is a start (though only the start, I gather!).  

While searching  the wider web re problem Windows updates (with recent results and no model name), a few pages into them I saw the word 'Edge'.  (It may just have just been the first result with the word early enough in the sentence to see there).  It jumped out at me because it was the last thing installed in my laptop before the blue screen error.

It was an ongoing topic in a Microsoft Community Forum, started on June 16th, about that same Windows Edge update.  It's no. KB4559309 apparently, but I didn't realise for a while that it was the same one, as I hadn't noticed any KB number during the update.  It transpired that it also hadn't appeared in other users' update lists after updating Windows, because it's now integrated into Windows 10 for the first time, in version 2004.  I didn't recognise that either until it rang a faint bell, and I found a note from somewhere, that build 18362 was 'actually version 2004', confusingly (to me).  It's the May 2020 Windows update (if I've got that right).

On reading through it I learned that this otherwise routine Windows update containing Edge had been problem-free for some people (even improving speed for some), slowed down others (sometimes badly), and caused some to stop working (many or maybe all with blue screen errors).  The Microsoft people do a lot of encouraging people to send in feedback there, but no pattern seems to have emerged yet, and it looks as if nobody yet knows how to predict or prevent the bad effects.  The update also seems to be very hard to avoid.

But for anyone who wasn't aware of the issue and has had problems after the update, a read through the topic might well give enough ideas, guidance and how-to links to help, as it has for me (in spite of the apparent lack of similarities between people's setups etc).  Of course now that I know the right keywords to use, they can probably find many helpful resources out there (but I'm only on about page 7 of this one!).  Some of the solutions users have discovered and posted are quite complex (e.g. including ways of blocking the Edge part of the update before a new download of it).

I may still have contributed to my laptop's woes (e.g. with not having disabled Norton, and possibly being too quick to shut down the laptop after the update installation completed.  (With no pattern yet, who knows!).

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-installing-the-new-edge-browser...

HP Recommended

(33 days and counting.....)   Anyone out there who's done a factory reset, or is familiar with the laptop model or similar?  (I expect the HP agents have a backlog right now).

I've read through and understood the document describing the HP Cloud Recovery procedure, but still have some questions.  Some might be specific to the model (Envy laptop 13-ah0501na).  Sorry to ask so many, but I've been unable to find the answers anywhere!

1)  Can the whole process (including the downloads) be done from Safe Mode?

2)  Should I disable (or uninstall) my antivirus program before using the HP tool?

3)  Will the computer be automatically be returned to the same Windows build as when it left the factory?  (It's just that If anything different might happen, or there's any choice, I'd like to be prepared).

4)  What is the Country Code required in the System Information page of the Cloud Recovery Tool?  Does it mean the international dialling code for the country I live in?  Or of the seller's country?  Or an URL type country code?  Or maybe part of the model details printed on the bottom of the laptop?  (If so, what does it look like?)

5)  After the reset, I'd like to keep the laptop offline (except for necessary installations) until I'm sure how best to get its Windows up-to-date, as I don't want to risk getting another forced update in the meantime, like the one that caused the BSOD.  Does anyone know if disconnecting in the laptop is enough to be sure that can't happen?  (I'd rather not turn off/disconnect the router whenever I want the laptop on, unless I have to).

6)  Is there a way to connect/disconnect from the internet, and/or the wifi, that's quicker than going into the Settings?  I looked on the screen before the problem started, but couldn't see any obvious way.  Or maybe there's a way using the keyboard?  I've been unable to find out what most of the non character keys do.  Ctrl and Alt still seem to combine with other keys, and Esc seems to do what it's always done (and I now know it's also this laptop's startup/recovery key), but the others are a mystery so far, including Windows keys (I preferred other ways in previous computers, and can't remember what they did).

7)  Does the laptop show any sign on the screen and/or keyboard of whether the internet connection and/or the wifi is on or off?  I haven't found any yet (in either normal or safe mode).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.