Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17-j110sl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I'm facing an issue after upgrading my laptop from Windows 10 1809 to 1903.

I decided to make the upgrade because Windows suggested me to do it now and also because there should have been a deadline after it would have been mandatory to make the upgrade.

After the upgrade, everything seemed ok, so I deleted, from Clean Disk app, the old Windows version in order to get more free space.

Anyway I noticed after a couple of days that standby and hibernation mode are not working anymore.

This happens when I invoke one of them: the OS turns off, the screen goes black, but the laptop is still on (I see that from the led button and from the led on the left side). After a minute, I hear the cool fan which starts to go faster, and the laptop can stay in this state forever, the only thing that I can do is forcing turn off by keeping the power button pressed.

I searched on the web and I found general solutions,but nothing helped me.

The only things that I surely cannot do is to restore the previous OS version, because I deleted it, and also make a clean install, because I have important software and settings which I cannot delete.

So I am writing here to have some proper suggestions by you.

I still didn't update the bios firmware because I wanted to talk to you about this opportunity before doing that.

Thanks and kind regards

Germano

PS: I tried also the suggestions in HP support page https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c03383935, but even reinstalling the original IMEI version 9.xx did not help me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi all and sorry for my huge silence, but it was a really hard period for me.

I had the solution, and it came directly from Microsoft.

After talking with the HP supervisor JeffHelp, I had some automatic Windows Update which completely fixed the issues. Now my Envy is able again both to hibernate and to sleep, even restoring the fast boot (which was very important to incease computer's performance).

The Windows updates arrived between August 5th and August 10th. I am not sure about which update did the trick (even if I suppose it was the cumulative update of August 5th), but I want to list all of them because there is the possibility that an update apparently not related to the issue solved it, and also because I hope that this report could help other users like me.

• 2019-07 Cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64 systems (KB4505903)
  • Update for Microsoft Office 2013 64 bit edition (KB4475556)
  • Update for Skype for Business 2015 64 bit edition (KB 4475564)

Thanks for all your support

Germano

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Germano1980,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Let's try these steps here: 

You can use the Power Troubleshooter to automatically resolve many common power problems, which also fix issues with the Hibernate option.

Open Settings.

Click on Update & Security.

Click on Troubleshoot.

Under “Troubleshoot,” select the Power option.

Click the Run the troubleshooter button.

Continue with the on-screen directions to fix the hibernation problem.

Once you’ve completed the steps, using the Hibernate option on Windows 10 again to see if it works.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to disable fast startup. 

1. Open Control Panel.

2. Click on Hardware and Sound.

3. Click on Power Options.

4. On the left pane, click the Choose what the power buttons do link.

5. Click the Change settings that are currently unavailable link.

6. Under “Shutdown settings,” clear the Turn on fast startup option.

7. Click the Save Changes button.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you can reset the plan to its default settings or you can start with a new power plan.

Resetting power plan to default

1. Open Start.

2. Search for cmd, right-click the top result, and select Run as administrator.

3. Type the following command to reset your power plan and press Enter:

powercfg –restoredefaultschemes

Creating a new power plan

Alternatively, you can create and switch to a new power plan:

1. Open Control Panel.

2. Click on Hardware and Sound.

3. Click on Power Options.

4. On the left pane, click the Create a power plan link.

5. Select the settings you want to use.

6. Type a name for the new plan.

7. Click the Next button.

8. Select the settings you want.

9. Click the Create button.

10. Once you’ve completed the steps, wait a few moments and try to use the hibernation mode on your Windows 10 device.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to uninstall the graphics card drivers from device manager:

Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand display adapters>then select the display drivers that are listed and right-click on it and uninstall the drivers.

Check the box that states delete the software for this device.

Now restart the computer and then update the Bios, Chipset and graphics card drivers on your PC either from our HP support website, using this link or download it using HP Support Assistant

Download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

I hope this should do the trick. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet_singh,

Thanks for your kind reply.

I will try your suggestions in next few days, I'll have to organize myself to do that.

Anyway, take into account that, from your list, the only things which I still didn't try are:

• Updating bios and chipset
  • Uninstalling graphics card and reinstalling it

I have a couple of questions before proceeding.

• Which is the suggested order to perform the given list above?
  • Do you suggest me to try the steps one at a time (I mean, firstly one step, if sleep / hibernate still don't work, try the second step, if it doesn't work, try the next one and so on...)?
  • Regarding the graphics card drivers, effectively after the Windows upgrade I updated them to the latest available version through the Nvidia panel, so I have the feeling that this driver could give me troubles. So do you suggest me to uninstall it and to install the original last version driver given for my laptop from HP website? Or another version? Or another uninstalling / reinstalling approach?

Thanks again for your help

Regards

Germano

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying, @Germano1980,

Before you proceed with the steps suggested in the previous post. I would recommend you try these steps first in this order. 

I recommend you run the power troubleshooter. The power timeout settings can affect your PC on various levels and the startup process is one of them. This checks how long the PC waits before turning off the display and to enter in sleep mode.

Here is how it is done.

Press ‘Win + I’ shortcut keys to open Windows Settings app.

Click on ‘Update & Security’, then go to the ‘Troubleshoot’ section from the left-side menu.

Scroll downwards a bit and click on the ‘Power’ option.

Click on ‘Run the Troubleshooter’. It will start detecting the problems and if it founds, go ahead fixing it.

If you continue facing the issue, then follow the below steps.

On your keyboard, press ‘Windows key + R’ and type ‘Powercfg.cpl’ in it.

Hit the ‘Enter’ key to open power options in the control panel.

From the left-hand side, click on ‘Choose what the power buttons do’.

Then, click on the link ‘Change settings that are currently unavailable’.

From the bottom given power button options, uncheck the ‘Turn on fast startup’ option.

Click on ‘Save changes’ button.

If the issue persists, follow the below steps.

Go to the ‘Start’ menu and type ‘Control panel’ then hit the ‘Enter’ key.

From the top-right filter, choose ‘Large icons’ and navigate to the ‘Power Options’,

Click and open the ‘Power options’.

Select the power plan according to your requirement and click on ‘Change plan settings’.

Click on ‘Change advanced power settings’.

In the power options windows, click on the button ‘Restore plan defaults’.

Click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘OK’ button.

Let me know how it goes for further assistance. 

Take care and have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Jeet_singh,

as I explained in my previous answer, I yet tried to run the power troubleshooter, to disable fast startup and to restore power plans, but without any success, for this reason I asked you details about the other steps.

Thanks

Germano

HP Recommended

Hi @Jeet_singh,

This is the update of what it happened right now.

After trying the troubleshooter, the resetting power plans and the disabling of fast startup option without any success, I tried to uninstall both the graphics cards drivers and reinstall both of them from HP page for my Envy. After that, something changed. When I invoke sleeping, the laptop doesn't remain anymore in a stucking state (with leds on, fan working hard and laptop not turning off), but the new behaviour is that now the laptop shutdowns. I mean that sleep mode = shutdown mode. The same thing happens when I invoke hibernation. The computer shutdowns in any case.

From one side is a slight  improvement of the situation, but from the other side is still an issue, because the shutdown closes all the apps, while in sleep/hibernation mode they would remain active. What is your next suggest to definitely fix this issue?

Here there is my current situation:

Intel MEI driver: 9.5 version (the current one is 11.x, but I downgraded it according to other suggestions on the web)

Intel chipset version: updated (I didn't touch it after Windows upgrading from 1809 to 1903)

Intel graphic card driver: outdated (I installed the version on HP Envy website, but it's a 2015 version, and I'm sure it had been updated)

NVIDIA graphic card driver: outdated (I installed the 2015 driver version on HP Envy website, and I'm again sure that there is a newer version)

BIOS: I didn't update it, it's still the original on the motherboard

Windows troubleshooter for power: executed after the graphics reinstall, but nothing changed

Restore power plans: done after the graphics reinstall, but nothing changed

Fast startup option: currently disabled, but I tried even to reenable it and nothing changed

HP Recommended

You may refer to this support document for - HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 😎

Take care and have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet_singh,

I did further tests in my issue and I can give you updates.

I didn't solve the issue, but at least I had a little improvement.

As I told you in a previous message, after uninstalling the current video card drivers, I was able to remove the pending state in which the computer went by invoking sleep or hibernate, but the computer in both modes simply turns it off.

After that situation, I made the further actions:

- I updated IMEI driver to latest version suggested by Windows Update (11.x): the computer still goes into shutdown instead of sleep/hibernate

- I updated Intel video card driver to latest version as suggested by Windows Update: the computer still goes into shutdown rather than sleeping/hibernating

- I updated Nvidia video card driver both to latest version suggested by Windows Update and to latest version suggested by Nvidia control panel (more recent than the Windows Update one), and the pending state appeared again: in both cases, restoring old driver version removed the pending state and came back to situation of going in shutting down instead of sleep/hibernate.

So it seems that the reason for the computer going into a wrong pending state is caused by Nvidia latest video card drivers; but at the same time, I still didn't come back to original working state of sleep/hibernate, because the computer simply shuts down instead of going into sleep/hibernate mode.

I think I'm really near to the solution, but I'm missing something.

Can you please help me in this update I gave you?

Thanks Germano

HP Recommended

In this scenario, I would suggest the next option would be to perform a system reset. 

You may follow the steps suggested in this support document for  - HP PCs - Resetting Your Computer (Windows 10)

For some reason, if this does not help then I would suggest you could try to use HP Cloud Recovery Tool which allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive.

If this option does not work then you can follow this link: HP PCs - Obtaining PC Recovery USB Drives or Discs Or else you may contact our HP support team to help you order a set of recovery media for your PC.

HP support team can be reached on this link

Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet_singh,

Unfortunately this is not a solution. I mean, we both know that with the previous OS version, sleep and hibernate worked. A clean install, a recovery or anything similar mean that the issue is not resolvable and also that I would lost all my app installations, all my settings and I would need to move all my data in an external drive in order not to lose them. As I explained in my first message here, I cannot do this because I have too much important settings and apps, and restoring them one by one would be a huge mess.

I remember you also that this laptop model starts with Windows 8.1 OS, so if I use recovery by HP, I would downgrade forcibly my system. But in any case this is not possible even if I start from a Windows 10 OS.

The situation is very simple. At a certain point Windows told me: "Man, you should upgrade to 1903 version because if you don't do this by yourself, we'll do it automatically within a certain time".

I did it by myself and there wasn't a single popup telling me that this laptop wasn't perfectly compatible with 1903 version, otherwise I surely would have aborted the upgrade.

So it's not my fault. I don't know if it depends by the OS, by some drivers, by the hardware, but it surely is not my fault, so I need proper steps to solve the issue without losing nothing.

Regards

Germano

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.