Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I have a series of power control related issues, the biggest being in the title -- AFTER installing Docker for Windows, if I put the computer to sleep, within ten minutes it reboots itself. When I open the lid of the computer, it brings me to a sign-in page, but when I sign in, all the apps that were open before sleep are now closed. (Brave tells me that it didn't shut down correctly -- this is how I think the system is shutting down during "sleep.")

Other related problems: Sometimes it won't power on unless it's plugged in, even on full battery; sometimes it wont' wake from sleep at all, and I have to hard reset the computer.

I've tried:

- Updating all drivers via Windows

- Updating all drivers via the HP Service Assistant

- Updating the AMD drivers via the AMD Radeon Settings software

- Uninstalling Docker and disabling Hyper-V from Windows Features menu in the Programs Settings

- Installing Docker for Windows Home, with the WSL-2 Backend instead of the Hyper-V backend (I am a Windows Pro user)

- Running a BIOS update

- Changing sleep/hibernation settings, including disabling hibernation

None of this works.

I know it's not a hardware problem because I've had this on two consecutive HP Envy x360s (I exchanged one for a new one at BestBuy)

Please help me. I want to keep this computer, but I NEED Docker.

What DOES work is resetting Windows by doing a re-install from drive, preserving user data. 

I've isolated the issue, it IS docker causing this, because after a fresh Windows reinstall, the problem goes away, but the NEXT thing I do is reinstall Docker and the problem comes back.

System information:

- AMD Ryzen 5 4500U with Radeon Graphics 2.38GHz

- 8GB ram

Docker configuration:

- 1 Core

- 2GB Ram

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Update -- still need help with this, but I've determined the general vicinity of the root cause. The problem is with the virtualization layer, and can be reproduced when installing the WSL-2 as well.

For right now, I go into the BIOS and disable virtualization whenever I'm not using it (i.e. when I'm not using Docker), but this is still a sub-ideal situation.

Any idea why having virtualization enabled causes these power management issues?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.