Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 15-bq100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i bought an envy 15 from ebay (used), the version with ryzen 5 2500u along with the integrated vega 8 .

i did a clean install and installed the official drivers from hp site

The laptop is fast and runs good.no temparature issues.

My issue is that every now and then the computer will completely freeze and present a white, or black screen.

after a minute or so it forces itself on reboot . some other times it will just freeze the screen for like 30 seconds with me unable to move the mouse or do anything, after that 30 sec it goes back to normal and everything works again. if it happens to play music while the computer freezes, the music freezes aswell and makes that weird repetitive music freezing sound .

recently i also came across a blue screen of death again out of nowhere stating that stop code:

DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL, Smd driver AMDASF.sys.

over the last months ive tried:

- Formating and doing a clean windows install again

- Updating Bios to the latest f.21 rev.A version

- 5 hour full system diagnostic with the UEFI hp hardware diagnostic tool (no errors or faults were found)

- Running FurMark to stress test the graphics. (everything went fine no issues,lag,errors)

- Running AIDA64 cpu stress test for one hour. ( everything was fine,no error, no overheating)

- MemTest software to check on the ram. (lasted 4 hours found no issues)

-unistalling the old catalist graphics drivers and installing the recomended graphics driver by AMD.com for the ryzen 2500U 

the last step helped and the computers freezes like once in 5 days instead of more frequent that it used to be. but with this drivers its the first time i got the BSOD that i already exmplained about. 

its worth mentioning the i have disabled the HID-compilant pen device from the device manager because out of nowhere it was moving my cursor at the uper-right corner of the screen thinking for some reason that the stylus was there and was cliking. so i decided to disable it, since i do not use the stylus. the touch screen however works 100% fine. here is a video i have taken with the compliant pen issue . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9BEJjkaBNk

bellow is the bosd error that i earlier talked about.

IMG_20200120_200805.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi

It suggests a memory issue.

I would consider using MemTest86   for a stress test.

Otherwise I suggest a dodgy driver.

Related to the Synaptics SMBus Driver .

HP Recommended

thanks for your reply,  as i already mentioned, i did run a 4 hour memtest that i did boot from a usb drive and it found no issues whatsoever.

the other thing that you mention about the synaptic driver can you be a bit more specific?

HP Recommended

Hi

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/got-blue-screen-error-after-installing-python-...

IRQ's are shared and are Interrupt ReQuests for CPU time, so if 2 drivers/Apps both request at the same time, well do they share or do they fight?

You could check your version here.......

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=synaptics

But I am really guessing.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.