Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq cq 62
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hard disk 303 error. 

I had a 303 and 305 errors on bios HD test , after dealing I could initiate windows 10 because w7 was dead and I have dual boot, so i attempted on disk administrator to right click on that w7 partition failing and it repaired. After that I could initiate w7. Then just in case I ran HAD2, which gave me some read errors (but not writing errors on same sectors), and.. I ran same bios hard disk test again and it resulted ok, no errors. ¿Could 303 and 305 errors be logical and not physical? If windows 10 disk  administrator, and HAD2 could reallocate bad sectors information.. ¿Is it finally rapaired??? All hp on this web and no hp posts say HD are going to die but I came with this to see what HP community can say about. Thanks 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@marsurf18 

You need to know that Software can not repair a failing drive -- period.  What happens is that read or write tests of sectors fail, and since every hard drive is configured with spare unused sectors, the repair process copies the failing sector to an unused one and marks the failing sector as unusable. This is like replacing a burst tire on your car with a spare -- the car still works but the original tire is still bad.

If this does not happen for quite a while again -- weeks or more -- then it was an isolated incident and the drive is probably OK.  But in my experience, once this starts, it happens more and more often until the drive ultimately fails.

If this was mine, I would get a new drive and migrate everything off this one to the new one -- as soon as I could.  The drive could last for months and be OK, but it could also fail tomorrow.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

First thanks for answering, you were very clear, I would like to know if tools like HAD2 or the HP bios HD test, once the bad sector is reallocated, ¿can't detect the bad sector any more even if it's a physical failure? Or considering that  the HAD2 on DOS  testing that provides this 4 process, read/write/read/compare only detected the errors on the first reading, but no errors on the same sectors on the consecutive write/read/compare actions of the same test,  ¿could this indicate that the errors were just software/logical errors but no Physical? Am I clear? My English is not native, and I'm not expert so I hope it does ha. Thanks again WAWOOD or anybody who likes to join

HP Recommended

The Hard Disk 1 Quick (303) error is always associated with a failing hard drive and it needs to be replaced, however, there are few methods that you can try to fix the error:

1. Prepare a recovery disk
  2. Try replacing the drive
  3. Check your Windows drive

Hope it helps!

HP Recommended

First thanks for answering, you were very clear, I would like to know if tools like HAD2 or the HP bios HD test, once the bad sector is reallocated, ¿can't detect the bad sector any more even if it's a physical failure? Or considering that  the HAD2 on DOS  testing that provides this 4 process, read/write/read/compare only detected the errors on the first reading, but no errors on the same sectors on the consecutive write/read/compare actions of the same test,  ¿could this indicate that the errors were just software/logical errors but no Physical? Am I clear? My English is not native, and I'm not expert so I hope it does ha. Thanks again WAWOOD

HP Recommended

@marsurf18 

You've been told by two of us now that this drive is failing and you need to replace it.  Instead, you are asking about reliability and repeatability of testing routines which I, for one, can not answer.

Quit asking questions and replace the drive before it fails outright!

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended
  • Fine! , I really appreciate your help and examples , I understand that 303 error is a failing disk and it's risky keep using it. I got the point. I had read similar answer on other sites, and that's why I entered here on hp forum. I am aware of replacing disk and not save important data until that. Beside that I was trying to go further for learning to differentiate between a logical fixable, and physical and not fixable error, having those test results maybe  to help  diagnosis,and somebody who could tell about. So maybe I misunderstood your reaction, but if I don't.. don't be mad and could be gentle with it man!  Thanks anyway. 
HP Recommended

thanks for answwring andy. I understand that i have to consider reaplace HD because it can crash any moment. 

Just to know, what do you mean with point 2- Replace the drive ?  replace the HD like you  first said on the answer? and with    3-Check windows drive, ¿isn't the same as point 1- Use a(Windows) Recovery Disk? Just to know .

Il keep using HD without saving important data after the repair and tests that i mentioned ,  it's working in my old laptop and not have a really important use , i will let you know in the future what happens, thanks again.

PD (By the way.. i used to hibernate many times and got blue screens  once a while doing that  some time  ago , but after reset every time was blue laptop worked fine . And after that once it was hibernating inside my back pack and fell to the floor, i used it a cuple more times, and then win 7 didnt work again (but windows 10 did, had dual boot, and i ran the solution i posted first)i dont know if HD head on hibernating state is safe like when is OFF or if its like when the HD head  is reading/writing in wich case if it fells get damaged for sure.. Ill let you know how it goes.) Cheers and happy new year  in case it keep working  after 2021!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.