Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp Envy 15
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

When I  start up laptop, there is  an error message located on the right bottom  Notification Panel that has the heading “Failed to connect to a Windows service” and states, “Windows could not connect to the Group Policy Client service. This problem prevents standard users from logging on to the system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event log for details about why the service didn’t respond.”

Also, i found when watch youtube, it shows a message: if playback  does not start shortly , try to restart your device ".

I have Use netsh winsock reset command to reset it, but does not work.

so how to fix this?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Jennie12,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP Envy Notebook and the error message failed to connect to a windows service showing at startup. Don't worry I'll be really glad to help you with this,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you provide me with the Product number and the Operating system installed on the PC? (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...) http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Have you recently made any changes on the PC before the issue started?

Did this happen after the recent update?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

Perform a Hard reset on the notebook: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

If the issue started recently well within a month, I would suggest you perform a System restore to a previous day where it was all working fine, for more please follow this link: HP PCs - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 😎

System restore will help if something automatically updated and did not go well on the Notebook.

When performing a System restore please note remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices as they can cause issues.

If that does not help, here is a link to put the Notebook in Safe Mode.  Use the safe mode with command prompt type
sfc /scannow  Command - Run in Windows 8. Please note that there is a space after the sfc.

Here's a related Forums which seem to have helped others: Click here

Please let me know how this goes.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

is this error message realted to window media creation tool which need updated?

HP Recommended

Hi @Jennie12,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP Envy Notebook and the error message failed to connect to a windows service showing at startup. Don't worry I'll be really glad to help you with this,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you provide me with the Product number and the Operating system installed on the PC? (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...) http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Have you recently made any changes on the PC before the issue started?

Did this happen after the recent update?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

Perform a Hard reset on the notebook: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

If the issue started recently well within a month, I would suggest you perform a System restore to a previous day where it was all working fine, for more please follow this link: HP PCs - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 😎

System restore will help if something automatically updated and did not go well on the Notebook.

When performing a System restore please note remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices as they can cause issues.

If that does not help, here is a link to put the Notebook in Safe Mode.  Use the safe mode with command prompt type
sfc /scannow  Command - Run in Windows 8. Please note that there is a space after the sfc.

Here's a related Forums which seem to have helped others: Click here

Please let me know how this goes.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet,

Thank you for your information.

My laptop operating system is windows 8.1. Product number G6R98UA#ABL.

I think I moved my mouse too fast when looking some websites, so the mouse became freeze, later I tried to fix it , but did not work, then causes the windows start menu show this error message.

I will try to perform a System restore too see if this way could resolve the issues.

If I have some further issues occured, I will let you know again.

Thank you very much for help.

HP Recommended

Hi @Jennie12,

Thank you for replying,
Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,
You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.