Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy M7
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I don’t think I’m supposed to have all these recovery partitions. I’ve used the Recovery Manager Program, but it cannot access the “D” RECOVERY partition. My restore Disk are met with errors and won’t continue. Is my machine now a paper weight?590116D7-5944-4887-802C-7393BA6D4CBC.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Since the recovery media and built in recovery system aren't working, you can always clean install W8.1.

Download the plain W8.1 64 bit ISO file from the link below.

Download Windows 8.1 Disc Image (ISO File) (microsoft.com)

Use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so that it is bootable, or you can use a different free utility such as Rufus.

When you get to the part that asks 'Where do you want to install Windows,' delete every partition on the hard drive leaving just one partition of unallocated space.  Click Next and W8.1 should install.

After W8.1 has completed installing you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

If your notebook originally came with Windows 8 from HP, let me know, because you need to do a couple of extra steps.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Since the recovery media and built in recovery system aren't working, you can always clean install W8.1.

Download the plain W8.1 64 bit ISO file from the link below.

Download Windows 8.1 Disc Image (ISO File) (microsoft.com)

Use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so that it is bootable, or you can use a different free utility such as Rufus.

When you get to the part that asks 'Where do you want to install Windows,' delete every partition on the hard drive leaving just one partition of unallocated space.  Click Next and W8.1 should install.

After W8.1 has completed installing you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

If your notebook originally came with Windows 8 from HP, let me know, because you need to do a couple of extra steps.

HP Recommended

Thank you for responding. I cannot download anything at the moment because my computer is now among the Undead.... I will try borrow a computer and make the disc.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, you will need to have access to another Windows PC.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much.......  worked like a charm although I had to do it twice. The first time I deleted ALL the partitions and Unfortunately loss access to the restore partition and none of the backup disks I made beforehand, worked without errors.

So, I put in the 8.1 again and gave it a 2nd shot..... it's reinstalling now.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much again .... I have brought my laptop back among the living again & re-installed MOST of the original software.

Cyberlink-Power Director failed to install saying that my drive was not an HP drive.

And Recovery Manager- failed to re-install ... but everything else is back in and working.

Unfortunately I am having problems accessing a system image I made to an external USB hard drive. I had hoped I could restore the hard drive with original partitions from it and recover the recovery partition also.

will try to see if Windows can create it's own Recovery Partition.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.