Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
17z-ak000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to figure out if there is a way that I can totally restore my HP Notebook - 17z-ak000 CTO computer using the HDMI port since my factory screen is shattered. Literally there is no way to use the screen to reset the computer, and to replace the screen is more than it would be worth for the laptop. But I can’t just drop the money to buy a new computer either and I’m about to go out of my mind.

thank you in advance

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Mommys_Annabel 

Sorry, but basically NO. The video drivers needed for the HDMI connection do not get loaded until Windows boots and if you're not seeing a desktop on that screen, there is no way to do this with an HDMI connection.

However, if you have a VGA connector on the screen, a VGA cable, and a VGA jack on the PC, that MIGHT work as this is really OLD video technology and works without Windows drivers.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.