Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ProBook 6550b
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I've recently purchased a second hand ProBook 6550b and wanted to perform a "factory reset" on it.
The thing is, though i made sure to follow the official hp manuals, I still wasn't able to perform such action - buttons/options mentioned in the manuals are missing.
So I called the support, described my problem the way I'm doing right here. I was told to check out "HP cloud recovery", but that didn't help either - my laptop wasn't on the list of recoverable devices. I was also informed that if such situation happens, I will need to obtain Windows 7 installation disk from HP.
Now, upon calling the support again I was informed that there are no such disks in my country and they are doubtful if any other HP centre has it.
So my question is - is there still a way to get the appropriate Win7 disk? If not, what are my options? 
Thank you for all the sugestions

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@meteor64 

Don't know why Support told you to contact HP for Win7 recovery media -- as HP has not carried it for some time now, and the third-party suppliers have not carried it, either.

If your used laptop has a Windows admin password on it, then a factory reset will fix that by removing and reinstalling Windows. But if it has a BIOS password, the reset will do not good because that password is contained in firmware programmed into a chip on the system board, and the reset does not touch that.

So, which password is the problem?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

As far as I'm concerned HP laptops were using some special kind of Windows back then - the support is unsure if "conventional" (obtained from Windows) disks would work

The laptop is working fine-ish at the moment, there's probably just a lot of junk files and questionable programs that are causing hiccups.

Windows user is not password protected, BIOS doesn't seem to be either - I don't know if the issue I described is related to this

HP Recommended

@meteor64 

You would not be able to obtain Windows 7 from Microsoft -- for two reasons. First, when they did provide it for download, you had to enter a Retail product key to get it -- but your laptop has an OEM product key and that would not work.

Second, MS stopped carrying Win7 downloads years ago, so it's not possible to get it from them anymore.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.