Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy17 notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Frozen at 33% during installation. Error message:  OXC1900101-OX30018 . The installation failed in First Boot phase with an error during syspep operation.

Computer system ID 1853

Product ID : A9P84UA#BA

I disabled Norton, WiFi, , upated all drivers from device manager, did clean boot before installation several times using Windows Update Assistant  and Windows 10 installation media (USB drive).

Please advise. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Pkkh7

I see that the issue persists. I would request you to contact our Phone Support and our Support Engineers should be able to Remote into your computer and sort this out.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect 
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

Thank you.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" and "Kudos" Buttons.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi @Pkkh7

Welcome to HP Forums. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips

I understand that the update installation froze at 33%.

I'd like to help.

I suggest you check and uninstall the updates that failed to install

1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on Update & security.
  3. Click on Windows Update.
  4. Click the Update history link.

5. On Update history, you can view which updates were installed successfully and which those that failed with a timestamp, which can help you pinpoint which update is causing the problem. Click the Uninstall updates link.

6. Microsoft hasn't moved everything to the Settings app, so you'll now be taken to the Uninstall an update page on Control Panel. Select the update and click the Uninstallbutton.

7. Click Yes to confirm the uninstall.
  8. Click Restart Now to reboot your computer

Then you can download the from Here

Let me know how it goes.

Thank you. 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Solution Accepted and Kudos Buttons.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Krazy Toad,

Thank you very much for your reply. I followed your instruction. At "Update History" page, I found many "Feature Update to Windows 10 version 1709" failed to install.  At "Uninstall an Update" page, I found all currently installed updates but no updates that failed to install.  So I really don't know which updates I need to uninstall. 

Windows 10 Update Assistance continues downloading the latest security update ie Feature Update Windows 10 version 1709 and installing it whenever I turn on my computer. It failed to install and  froze at 33%  every time.

My current Windows 10 version is 1511 which was updated last year from my oringinal Winows 7 came the computer .

Please advise.  Thank you for your help.

pkkh7

HP Recommended

Hi @Pkkh7

I am the The_Fossette. It looks like you were interacting with @KrazyToad, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

I recommend you download and install the Windows update troubleshooter and run it. It will automatically fix the Windows update issues.

You can download Windows update troubleshooter from the below link.

http://hp.care/2AcEkZk

Let me know how it goes and you have a good day ahead.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi The_Fossette,

Thank you very much for your reply. 

I downloaded Windows update troubleshooter and did run. It said the Windows update issues were fixed. Then I installed the Windows 10 version 1709 update  and it  froze at 33% again as my many previous attempts.

My HP Envy 17 notebook runs well with Windows 10 version 1511. Windows keeps downloading version 1709 update saying my computer is at security risks whenever I turn it on but fails to install it. 

Is my HP Envy17 notebook compatible with Windows 10 version 1709?

Thanks again

Pkkh7

HP Recommended

Hi @Pkkh7

I suggest you Delete the Windows update Folder and then try the update.

1. Simultaneously press the Win image + R keys to open the run command box.

2. Type the following command and press OK.

• services.msc

services.msc

3. From the list of services, at the right pane locate the Windows Update service.

4. Right click on "Windows Update" service and choose Stop. *

5. Close "Services" window.

* Note: If you cannot stop the Windows Update service, then:

a. Double click on it to open its Properties.
b. Set the Startup type to Disabled and click OK.
c. Restart you computer.
d. After restart, continue to the next step.

stop windows update service

6. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows folder.

7. Locate and then Delete the SoftwareDistribution folder and restart. *

* Notes:
1. If you cannot delete the folder with error "Folder in use – try again", then restart Windows in "Safe Mode" and repeat the procedure.
2. If you have disabled the Windows Update service (Startup type = Disabled), then go to services and set the Startup type to Automatic.

8. Restart your computer.
9. After the restart, go to Start image  > Settings > Update & Security.
10. Check for updates and install them or download the Update Manually from Here

Let me know how it goes.

Thank you. 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" and "Kudos" Buttons.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi KrazyToad,

Thank you for your reply.   I followed your instructions to deleted the Windows Update Folder and then tried the update.

Installation froze at 33% again. The installation failed in the First_Boot phase with an error during syspep operation.

I updated my notebook from  HP installed Windows 7 to Windows 8 then to Windows 10 version 1511 successfuly  but cnnot further update to the latest version.  

Thanks again

pkkh7

HP Recommended

Hi @Pkkh7

I see that the issue persists. I would request you to contact our Phone Support and our Support Engineers should be able to Remote into your computer and sort this out.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect 
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

Thank you.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" and "Kudos" Buttons.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi KrazyToad,

I appreciate all your effort to try to solve my issue. I will contact Phone Support for further assistance.

Thank you very much.

pkkh7

HP Recommended

@Pkkh7

Hi,

You're welcome. 

as @KrazyToad is out of the office, I'm replying to you. I truly appreciate your efforts and patience.

Feel free to reach out to us for any further questions. All the best! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.