Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP G70
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Shows Security Suite installed twice with one app "on" and one app"off". Can't delete the "off" one. See photos:20190206_163414.jpg20190206_163256.jpg20190206_162803 (1).jpg

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @BillB65 

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Community.

This problem is likely caused by corruption to the database in the   C:\Windows\System32\Wbem\Repository   folder. This area is used by the Windows operating system to manage the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service. In turn, the WMI service is used by Windows to obtain and correctly display information related to the Windows Security Center / Defender / Action Center.

To ensure that accurate information regarding your antivirus protection is displayed in the Windows Security Center or Action Center, please follow the steps below:

1. Click Start , type Run and open it.
    The Run window will be displayed. Type services.msc and click OK.

2. The Services window will appear. Scroll down the list and locate the Windows Management Instrumentation service.

3. Right-click the service and click Stop. Close the Services window.

4. Using Windows Explorer / File Explorer / Computer, go to  C:\Windows\System32\Wbem\Repository     directory.
     Select all and make sure you delete all files and folders (everything) inside Repository.
    Make sure you keep the folder Repository, just purge its content.

5. Restart the computer. Here is how to do it >> https://www.digitalcitizen.life/7-ways-shut-down-or-restart-windows-10-pc-or-device

6. The WMI service will launch, all files in the folder C:\Windows\System32\Wbem\Repository will be restored, and the information in the Windows Security Center will be updated. Note that the PC may be temporary slower than usual until the information is populated back into WMI repository.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

system won't let me delete the files: states, "open in application inormation". 

HP Recommended

@BillB65 

• Please, ensure your account is not a limited account but a standard account with admin rights
  • May be the service has restarted itself. Files are protected by something. After you stop the Windows Management Instrument service, right click it -> choose Properties -> and ensure you set it from Automatic to Disabled. Apply to confirm the changes
  • Refresh the services list and make sure that the WMI service is really stopped
  • Try again to delete the files as per initial suggestion

Adding Service account to the administrators group is another possible resolution . This will grant permissions to the system to access WMI clauses. You can do that by

• Clicking Start and searching for the Command Prompt (CMD)
  • Right click it and choose to run it as an administrator
  • Enter this command and eventually press [ENTER] to confirm
  • Repeat the initial steps eventually

Let me know how it goes. Please, provide details

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Never got this to work; kept saying file was in use.Wound up uninstalling F-Secure.

HP Recommended

@BillB65 wrote:

Never got this to work; kept saying file was in use.Wound up uninstalling F-Secure.

Ok, so since F-Secure has been uninstalled, do you still see these messages from Action Center ?

Are you using the built-in Defender now ?

HP Recommended

Yes, I temporarily used the Windows Definder. I have now installed F-Secure and the warning messsage is gone. All systems showing green (ok). 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the update.

So, the problem was not in Windows (corrupted WMI) but a corruption in the program which has been solved by reinstalling it. Good to know.

All the best !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.