Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17t-n000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Fingerprint reader stopped working again after recent Windows 10 update.

I've tried so many suggestions from TenForums and from YouTubes but nothing has fixed it.

In Device Manager when I clik on Biometrics I do not see any Fingerprint reader.

I see Windows Hello Face Software and when I clik on Events it says: Device Root\WindowsHelloFaceSoftwareDriver\0000 requires further installation.

I've searched for avaialble drivers on HP for my model HP Envy 17t-n000 CTO but it is a driver from 2016.  It didn't fix the issue.

Any suggestions from any of you would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I installed the Validity Eagle Sensor and it appears under Biometrics but under its Events it is showing this message:

Device USB\VID_138A&PID_0050\041800a154ad requires further installation.

So I am not sure if this is even the correct driver for the Fingerprint sensor.

I had this issue of the Fingerprint sensor not working a few years ago.  And I was able to solve it from help on one of these forums.  So I'm thinking it is probably from another Windows 10 update when it stopped working again.

Any suggestions?

I have tried so many suggestions from watching YouTubes.

Thank you to anyone who offers help in solving this!

HP Recommended

I reset my computer and updated my my Windows 10 OS to Version 21h2.  Now my fingerprint scanner is not working.  I uninstalled the driver and downloaded the updated drivers from HP site but I am still getting the "code 31" area code saying Windows cannot load the drivers required for the device.  However, on HP's download site, it does not have my version of Windows 10 listed.  It only has version 20h2, and I am using 21h2.  The fingerprint scanner worked fine until I updated to version 21h2.

HP Recommended

I think that was my problem too.  I checked and mine was updated to 21H2 on May 12th.  I created a thread on tenforums.com on May 13th regarding this and also on bleepingcomputers.com

I got it to work.

This is my history from Bleepingcomputers.com 

Hope you can get it fixed!  It's very annoying.....

Posted 19 May 2022 - 04:40 PM

Fingerprint reader stopped working again after recent Windows 10 update.

I posted this issue on www.tenforums.com and one expert tried to help but unfortunately wasn't able to find the solution.

In Device Manager when I clik on Biometrics I do not see any Fingerprint reader.

I see Windows Hello Face Software and when I clik on Events it says: Device Root\WindowsHelloFaceSoftwareDriver\0000 requires further installation.

I've searched for available drivers on HP for my model HP Envy 17t-n000 CTO but it is a driver from 2016.  It didn't fix the issue.

I installed the Validity Eagle Sensor and it appears under Biometrics but under its Events it is showing this message:

Device USB\VID_138A&PID_0050\041800a154ad requires further installation.

So I am not sure if this is even the correct driver for the Fingerprint sensor.

I had this issue of the Fingerprint sensor not working a few years ago.  And I was able to solve it from help on one of these forums.  So I'm thinking it is probably from another Windows 10 update when it stopped working again.

Any suggestions?

I have tried so many suggestions from watching YouTubes. 

Thank you to anyone who offers help in solving this!

I just checked and now the Fingerprint Reader is showing up in Sign-In options!

I am going to restart the computer and see if it is now working.

Not exactly sure what I did since it wasn't appearing a few days ago.

Perhaps adding that Validity driver did succeed?

I'll be back in a minute!

•  

Back to top" href="https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/772288/fingerprint-reader-stopped-working-again-after-rece...">

FredricJLowe

• TOPIC STARTER

•  

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 19 May 2022 - 04:49 PM

It's working again!!!!

I haven't a clue what I did...but now it is working!

•  

Back to top" href="https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/772288/fingerprint-reader-stopped-working-again-after-rece...">

Nukecad

•  

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 20 May 2022 - 08:26 AM

I've had similar before more than once on an old laotop.

Wgen it happens then In device manager I delete the device and then do a search for devices.
Followed by a search for updates in Windows Update and then look in Optional Updates for a biometrics driver.
It's given me a few different ones over time.

Now if I could only get the fingerprint reader to work following a hibernate as well as just a restart/reboot.

Edited by Nukecad, 20 May 2022 - 08:26 AM.

•  

FredricJLowe

• TOPIC STARTER

•  

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 20 May 2022 - 10:01 AM

Thank you for your reply. When you say you delete the device in Device Manager, do you mean the item that appears such as Synoptics or Validity which I think is the Fingerprint driver? I'm not sure if I am correct on my labeling of items as to whether they're devices or drivers.

Then how do you search in Windows Update and then Optional updates for biometrics driver? Are they always called Validity or Synoptics?

it's strange because somehow when I Uninstaller that Validity driver that I thought I had found a driver for and it didn't work, I Uninstaller the device and it reinstalled it after restarting.

On drivermax appeared a Validity driver that was not appearing days before when the expert on the other forum had suggested I look for one there. I downloaded and installed this Validity driver, rebooted but it didn't fix the issue.

Miraculously I decided to look again at Sign-In options and now the Fingerprint option was not grayed out and operational.

I proceeded to swipe my finger and upon restarting the laptop, the Fingerprint sensor worked and has since. (2 for 2).
  •  

Nukecad

•  

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted Yesterday, 12:48 PM

Good to hear that it's working for you now.

Sorry I was posting that from my phone (hence the typos) and working from memory.

Your device may be called something different to the one I have on that old laptop, different laptops have different makes of fingerprint readers.

What I was meaning about the driver updates was:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/update-drivers-manually-in-windows-ec62f46c-ff14-c91d-ee...

It will sometimes offer a few different biometrics drivers to try.

The one I'm having issues with is an old Toshiba Tecra M9. (Originally had XP Pro on it).
The fingerprint reader works fine with a shutdown/reboot or on a restart, it just won't work following a hibernate and wake up.
I guess I still need to find the right driver to do that.

Edited by Nukecad, Yesterday, 12:48 PM.

•  

FredricJLowe

•  

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted Today, 05:57 PM

Thank you.  Again it stopped.....the Fingerprint sensor was flashing but it wouldn't accept my swiping.

I went back into Sign-In options and the FingerPrint option again was greyed out.

I unistalled the Synoptics appearing in Biometrics and scanned for hardware changes and rebooted.  It reinstalled the Validity driver. I went back into Sign-in options and it was still grayed out.

I then went to Windows Update and cliked on drivers available and saw another Validity one.  Downloaded and installed that and restarted the laptop.

Success....again...for how long?  Why does it keep doing this?

•  

Reply to this topic

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.