Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I am not sure whether you understood me right.

On the notebook theres Windows 10 installed and still working fine.

But I'd rather like to have Win7.

As in this thread described I am getting the missing DVD driver error when trying to install by bootable USB.

I am using an USB 3.0 Stick.

I still tried all three USB ports where only one of them is USB 3.0.

I was able to use exactly this stick to install Win7 on another notebook.

Here a solution was posted to make changes within BIOS.

I am able to change to legacy boot but I am not able to make settings regarding USB 3.0 since there arent any settings for this.

Because of this I tried an DVD containing an Win7 ISO which I still used to install win 7 on other computers in the past.

Using this DVD I am getting the error written before.

Also as said before theres no UEFI-Boot option for the DVD (which also was recommended as solution here before).

At the moment I am "living" with it (Win10).

HP Recommended

HI @Kaspatoo,

Thanks for replying and really appreciate the effort in trying to resolve this issue.

HP does not recommend downgrading the OS. However, you can do it at your own discretion.

However, you can try this link: Click here

(The above link is 3rd party and is not owned by HP, I've posted this only so that I may help you resolve this issue by going beyond by support boundaries, please ignore the ads and take only the free suggestions)

Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

thanks for the link.

I am exactly doing it like in the link you posted.

But as the thread creaotor I am having the same problem which occurs after clicking on "Install Windows 7" (step 6).

Thanks for any attempt but I think its not solvable yet.

HP Recommended

Please see [PCWorld] Microsoft made 'em do it: The latest Kaby Lake, Zen chips will support only Windows 10 for possible reasons for your issues.

Also review the following information that may get your computer running Windows 7...

First of all, create your HP Recovery Media before attempting to install a new OS or HDD/SSD.

Your computer uses a 7th generation Intel chipset and CPU.... Intel removed USB 2.0 support from the 6th generation  chipset and CPU and this was most likely carried to the 7th generation. Because of this, normal DVD and USB Windows 7 installs will not work on 6th/7th generation Intel chipsets. You have to add the USB 3.0 drivers into the Windows 7 ISO using this Intel utility (must be run under Win 8.1 or Win 10); 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Wi​​​​​ndows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

After running this utility and directing it to your Windows 7 ISO, the resulting ISO/USB/DVD should be able to install Windows 7 on your computer.

You may also need to provide the below driver for Windows 7 to see the hard drive... Extract the files onto another usb flash drive without any folders;

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/In​​​tel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Dri...

You may need to install the below driver to make the USB ports usable in Windows 7;

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22824/US​​​B-3-0-Driver-Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Cont...

The above utilities and drivers may or may not work for the Intel 7th generation products.

You may need to DISABLE "Secure Boot" and ENABLE "Legacy Support" in the BIOS prior to installing Windows 7. There may be other BIOS settings that need to be changed and you may need to supply USB and/or AHCI driver before the installation will proceed.

HP doesn't list any Windows 7 drivers for you computer. Please post the Windows Device Manager's "Hardware Ids" (just the string of text will do) for those devices that are listed as missing or unknown devices as shown in the example below;

device manager.png

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Hi @Kaspatoo,

Thanks for your response. I understand you are still having the same issue while installing  Windows 7 using the DVD.

Just wanted to check as you have mentioned that you were able to use the DVD's in the past, so have you tried to install sometime recently.

If not, there could be an issue with the DVD being corrupted. 

Next thing that I could suggest here is to download a new ISO image from MSDN and then check if it works.

Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

Thanks & Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.