Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi, @Ian50

If your notebook has the Celeron processor, then it has the Intel HD graphics for Celeron processors (not HD 5500, which is for 5th gen core processors).

Try either of these two graphics drivers.  One of them should work.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27267/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?pr...

This package provides the driver that enables the Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. If high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) video output is supported, this package also installs the HDMI Audio Driver.

10.18.14.4234 Rev.A

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72501-73000/sp72651.exe

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul

The sp76251 file worked well. I now have an Intel graphics widget that allows reasonable latitude in desktop changes (limited by the bog standard VGA chip in the PC - but the machine was cheap so no complaints).

Yes, I reported yesterday the video chip from the wrong machine (I have two). Sorry.

So now we have:

all the USB ports alive and well with the eXtended Intel usb3 driver

the screen graphics behaving themselves

wlan/internet capability with a 3rd party usb network adapter

and Win7 Pro working properly on an HP250 Celeron.

Thank you greatly for your help. Very successful.

HP Recommended

Anytime. 

Glad to have been of assistance.

If only someone would figure out a way to get the Intel 3168 wifi adapter to work.

That bugs me.  There is no reason I can think of why it doesn't.

HP Recommended

Maybe it's just that the wireless button driver is messed up/missing.

One would imagine that the card is on by default so it might pay to see if any HP button driver is installed and if neccessary getting rid of it and seeing if it helps.

Then it's worth checking if there are any settings for the WiFi or the Wireless button in the BIOS. There might be a lockout for the button which should then force the card on.

I don't know if it would be possible to patch either the Wireless Button Driver for W10 to work in W7 (not probable) or maybe a compatible W7 version of the driver for some other HP model would work if it just would install.

People are using their precious remaining lifetime to try and help, so it is common courtesy to come back and tell what the solution eventually was even if you found it elsewhere. It is for the benefit of everyone.
HP Recommended

Paul:

Yes,  I agree.

I do have a further development for you, though.

When examining the Device Manager throughout this saga, I noticed that  the number of hardware items listed as "driverless" became less and less as drivers were found and installed. Like pulling teeth, but with your help progress was made. (The breakthough supplying optimism was the Intel eXtended usb driver you linked to - the machine became alive then).

With the graphics finally resolved and the workaround of the 3rd party external usb network adapter in place - despite the internal adapter being listed as working when it clearly wasn't - that left only "ethernet controller" listed as driverless and orphaned.

Using your outlined technique of putting the hardware ID's into the search box - yep, up came a known Realtek controller.

Intel refused to know this controller for Win 7 (Win 10 was easy but useless for me), as did Realtek. By now the plot was so obvious it had curdled.

Searching a bit, I came up with:

www.hwdrivers.com/hw_ids/c79897/

Realtek driver for PCIe GBE Family Controller Win7 x64. No dodginess on this site that I could see. Perhaps the c79897 number in this context means something for you ?

Installed and working ok off an ethernet port on my router. So far the only issue I've found is that the RJ cable needs to be pulled out and reinserted on restart - that could be my router as much as the Realtek controller.

So now only the internal wireless hardware still remains a mystery.

In a way, this has been fun of a sort. Maybe we'll solve the wifi issue. As someone has suggested, maybe the Win10 driver can be edited to work ?

HP Recommended

Hi:

You shouldn't have to be messing around with the ethernet cable to reconnect.

You may want to use the latest ethernet driver directly from Realtek.

Download, unzip and run the setup application from the W7 driver at the link below.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTy...

HP Recommended

Thanks again.

The Realtek driver you listed from the Taiwan site is the same one I came up with from the hw site. But I agree - wifi is the better technology, much preferable to ethernet cable for a host of reasons. Just adding the ethernet result for completeness.

If anyone can find a practical result for the wifi adapter, apart from the external usb adapter workaround, please post here. This forum and Paul in particular, has been very helpful.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

The only other thing I can think of that we haven't tried is to install the HP Connection Manager software, and the HP System Event Utilty software.

The connection manager software is used to turn the networking equipment off or on using the software in W7, and the System Event Utility is the software to work the Fn keys.  Maybe one of those two programs will do something.

The System Event Utiity may do something to the F12 key that works the wifi.

I figure at this point, you have nothing to lose by giving it a try.

This package provides the HP Connection Manager for supported notebook models running a supported operating system.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp75501-76000/sp75771.exe

This package contains the HP System Event Utility, which enables special function keys on supported notebook models to be programmed. For example, HP System Event Utility enables users to press the Fn+ESC keys to view system information. This package is provided for the supported computer models running a supported operating system.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81001-81500/sp81404.exe

HP Recommended

Paul

Ok, I tried them.

The SysInfo Utility is useful for other purposes but didn't make a dent in the wifi issue.

The Connection Manager didn't make the wifi work BUT it did come up with a brief message over the red-crossed wifi icon in the tray:

"Wireless adapter disabled"

This despite the Device Manager reporting that "the device is working properly"

When Connection Manager is opened (HP Connection Manager.exe), the WiFi Wireless LAN tab says:

"Power is disabled"

Well, well ...

HP Recommended

Did you happen to check if there is anything regarding disabling the WiFi switch in the BIOS, Sometimes there is to prevent users from accidentally switching the card off.

People are using their precious remaining lifetime to try and help, so it is common courtesy to come back and tell what the solution eventually was even if you found it elsewhere. It is for the benefit of everyone.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.