Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 2540p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I installed windows 10 and all the drivers for the fingerprint reader also unfortunately the reader does not work.

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @SpyV2 

The only software that has any chance of working on your model is this one.

The HP client security manager software replaced the HP ProtectTools security manager software.

If that doesn't work, then unfortunately I doubt you will be able to use the fingerprint sensor to log into Windows.

HP Client Security Manager provides enhanced Windows login and website single-sign-on capabilities. Security Manager is also the host for HP Client Security plugins, and therefore should be installed before other Client Security modules. This package is provided for supported models running a supported operating system.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp74001-74500/sp74101.exe

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@SpyV2 

Your machine probably very old. I did have one and disposed it few years back. From my memory, the fingerprint worked with Windows 8.1 but not Windows 10. Since it too old, I did not bother to find out.

Now, please check Hardware-id of the missing drivers and post back.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

4.PNG

HP Recommended

@SpyV2 

Again, could be too old now. Can you actually get  their Hardware id's using the following way ?

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-Hardware-ID

One of my notebook which is 11 years old and has FingerPrint reader. System knows it but no available driver for Windows 10. Vendors do not to spend money to support older products, making new products is cheaper.

USH.png

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

USB\VID_138A&PID_0007&REV_0072

USB\VID_138A&PID_0007

Capture.PNG

HP Recommended

and there is an external program I could use to operate this fingerprint reader ?

HP Recommended

Hi, @SpyV2 

The only software that has any chance of working on your model is this one.

The HP client security manager software replaced the HP ProtectTools security manager software.

If that doesn't work, then unfortunately I doubt you will be able to use the fingerprint sensor to log into Windows.

HP Client Security Manager provides enhanced Windows login and website single-sign-on capabilities. Security Manager is also the host for HP Client Security plugins, and therefore should be installed before other Client Security modules. This package is provided for supported models running a supported operating system.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp74001-74500/sp74101.exe

HP Recommended

Thanks @Paul_Tikkanen .

I don't have my old 2540p here to test

@SpyV2 

Please try and post back the result.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

You're very welcome @banhien 

I'm taking a shot in the dark on this one.

I'm pretty sure the Client Security Manager software for W10 that I posted works fine on the 2560p, but I don't know if it will work on the older 2540p, but it is the only software option that would, unless we provide the W10 Simplepass software.

We'll try that next if the HP CSM software doesn't do the trick.

@SpyV2 

While I'm here, the other drivers you need in your screenshot are these...

Base System Device:

This package contains the Ricoh Media Card Reader Driver for the supported notebook models and operating systems. The Ricoh Media Card Reader driver enables the integrated media card slot.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp46501-47000/sp46999.exe

PCI Serial Port:  This is important...if you are notified during the driver setup that you are installing an older driver than is already installed, cancel out of the installation.

Go to the device manager, click on the PCI Serial Port needing the driver, click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the file.  That folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp59684.

Make sure the Include subfolders box is checked and the driver will install.

The reason this may happen is that Windows 10 may already have installed a newer version of the Intel Management Engine Interface driver, and the below HP driver installs the Intel Management Engine Interface device, as well as the PCI serial port.

This package provides the Intel Management Engine Components Driver and Interface.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59501-60000/sp59684.exe

Unknown Device:

This package provides the HP 3D DriveGuard software for supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. HP 3D DriveGuard protects the hard drive by "parking the heads" if the notebook is accidentally dropped or is abruptly impacted by another object.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64144.exe

HP Recommended

Hey

I'm sorry I'm late, but I didn't have time. I installed the drivers and "Unknown Devices" disappeared 🙂. I also downloaded the HP Client Security Manager program, installed and configured it, and the fingerprint reader works. Before starting the topic I also tried HP SimplePass win10, but unfortunately the program did not detect the fingerprint reader and hanged during configuration.
Thanks for your help

@Paul_Tikkanen
    @banhien

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.