Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi-

I lost internet connection and went to restart the laptop.  Instead of restarting, it went to the HP Bios update screen.  It took forever to go through "blocks" and then had another screen with "flash block" or something like that.  It gave me no option to stop or start the update.  Is this for real, or did I just get hijacked by malware?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@LisaPinLA 

Sometimes HPSA downloads BIOS for your machine and it normally asks you to reboot. Probably you did not notice the message therefore it will install new BIOS on the next reboot.

Normally the BIOS update/upgrade process may take up to 5-10mins (or more) during that time PLEASE DO NOT DO ANYTHING, just wait. I will reboot again to normal process.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying!  Since it did not warn me nor give me a way to back out, I was really suspicious of its authenticity.  Also, I was in the middle of hosting a work Zoom meeting and wanted to get back to it.  Very annoying.

HP Recommended

Yes - that can happen.  It is very important that you don't interrupt a BIOS update as an incomplete update can brick your system and render it useless.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.