Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Chromebox CB1-014 PC (ENERGY STAR)
Chrome OS

After working with this for a few years I seddenly  cannot  download to my folder any files If I click on save as I get a very brief view of what should be my download  folder then the screen changes ans I get a screen as below As you can se it is a

Blamk screen  It is very suuen and very strange  any help would bee appreciated 

blank screen Save file .png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for your time.Possibly at a later date I will contact them 

Stanley 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@canninggm

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand the HP Chromebox has a blank page while attempting to save a file to folder.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Have you attempted to use an alternate application to check if that works?
  • Which application are you using?
  • Have you used the same file type before? and has it worked?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to know:

Certain type of files are not supported by your Chrome OS, here's all the information you need about the same: 

• Microsoft Office files: .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt (read-only), .pptx (read-only). Learn more about viewing and editing Office documents.
  • Media: .3gp, .avi, .mov, .mp4, .m4v, .m4a, .mp3, .mkv, .ogv, .ogm, .ogg, .oga, .webm, .wav
  • Compressed files: .zip, .rar
  • Other: .txt, .pdf (read-only; you won't be able to edit these files)

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: https://hp.care/2k9uMHi

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

For I shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, 

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your interest.

I have  had no problem  saving my files before . The same thing happens to different programmes . For example  I can compose a google document. Then I save as. I briefly get a saving screen and the  get the blank screen I also have the same  problem  when I try to save an image   when I press save as  and again getthe blank screen 

I also  tried to adda screen capture but when I clicked on the  picture 

It would not open the file and just gave me a blank screen 

Any suggestions would be appreciated 

Thanks 

Incidentaly thre docvument file does appear in my drive 

HP Recommended

Chromebooks and chrome boxes are great.  They, as you know,  are simple and work. Using 'Reset your Chromebox device' fixes the problems almost every time. HP has a great FAQ page that includes information on how to reset your device.   Google has a help article which gives you each step. 

If you are still having trouble,  you may want to use the Chromebook recovery utility, found in the Chrome web store, to re-image your chromebox. Its a chrome browser plugin and can be run from other devices if you need to.  you'll need a flash drive larger than 4GB, that will plug into  your Chromebox to make recovery media with the utility. 

Hope this helps!

Sam-in-Texas

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Hi its me again . I am having problems trying to get the Google reovery programme to work 

I launched the app then I get a screen that says preparing and thats it  After 20 minutes the screen stays the same. I have a USB 8 GB  but have not yewt got to the stage of using it 

If possible could you let me have your  email address and I could then send you screen captures 

Regards 

Stanley 

HP Recommended

Hi Sam I wanted to update you about the problem I am having with not being able to save files . I did a reset and that seemed to have  solved the problem . As I added more extensions  the problem returned and I reset  once again . I am not sure what is going on  but I will add extensions  and check if I can save after each extension 

It is a pity that I cannot upload  images to this forum as it would be easier to show the problem 

Regards 

Stan 

HP Recommended

Sounds like the hardware and the OS are okay, but that their might be a problem with one of the extensions.  If you can live without the extension, problem solved.  If not, following support  questions on the extension will be the way to go.  Is it only one extension you are having trouble with? Which chrome channel is your device using? - sincerely, Sam-in-Texas

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help . Please can you tell me how I find out which Chrome channel my devis is using 

Thamks 

Stan 

HP Recommended

Hi! @canninggm, Welcome to HP forums.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned you would like to know which channel the chrome device is using.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Please try the steps recommended below.

Find and open a file

1. In the corner of your screen, click the Launcher Launcher and then Up arrow Up arrow.
  2. Open Files Files app.
  3. On the left, choose the place where your file is saved.
  4. Find your file and double-click it to open.

If you're opening a file on an external storage device, remove the device safely when you're done by clicking Eject Eject.

Save a file

To save the page, image, or document you're viewing:

1. Press Ctrl + s.
  2. At the bottom, type a name for your file.
  3. Optional: To the left of the file name, change the file type.
  4. In the left column, choose where you'd like to save your file, such as My Drive.
  5. Click Save.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot chrome OS issues. Link: https://hp.care/2IDBcND

If the issue still persists try contacting HP phone support and get assistance.

Link to contact HP.

Please mark my post as accepted solution if you feel I have answered your query.

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help . I still have the same problem but by resetting I am able to continue working until the same thing happens and I again do a reset 

If you have a way that I can send toy images  and screen shots it would make it easiser for me .

Thanks agsin 

Stanley 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.