Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Bought the laptop in 2017, never used it due to this same issue I'm experiencing to this day. The disk usage is always running at 100% though the laptop is in "like" new condition. I first tried a system recovery seeing if it was windows files that needed updated or corrupted files that need removed. After, I tried running system tests from the 'esc' menu when the computer is first powered on. I researched similar problems other people were having in the support forums and tried a couple solutions that the support help gave. I downloaded 3 driver updates from the HP website, where one was a BIOS update, released in 2020. This fixed the problem for at least a day, where I downloaded some software for college and it worked perfectly. The next day the problem persisted and this is where I am at now. Resorting for help, I will leave my product name, number and serial number below.

Product name: HP ENVY x360

Product number:  15m-bq021dx

Serial number: [Personal Information Removed]

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@HunterA21 

You say you "never" used this -- but actually, you probably have used this -- but only a few times, right?

That means EVERY time you turn this on, Windows Update is going to run -- because the laptop is weeks, if not months, behind the current patch level.  When that runs, it maxes out the processor and the drive -- resulting in the 100% you are seeing.

You need to let Windows Update finish -- could be HOURS of updates -- and turn  the laptop one every couple of days or so.  Once the updates finish, the processor and drive usage will drop to normal levels.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I have the same problem but I use mine every morning so the update should not be my issue. After about 5-10 minutes after the computer turns on it will go back to normal usage but like most people I am inpatient and do not want to wait to use a computer I paid a considerable amount for.

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem with an Envy X360. Owned it about 5 years and its probably had about 40 hours use as it's unusable.  I've been using an old Pro-Book instead, it's about 3 years older than the Envy but runs so much faster. In an attempt to try and get some use out of the envy, I recently had an SSD installed, hoping the 100% disk usage might have been a disk issue but it's still the same.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.