Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15-253ca
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

DavidPK-

I am having an issue that' I've had since I got the laptop in fall of last year. and this is my 2nd post about it. 

The problem is, I like to use the scroll area on the control zone but cannot.  There is no option for the "scrolling" settings when I go into Control Panel and the HP Control Zone.

I could not find a solution originally so I decided to give Windows 10 a try. .and this did seem to fix the issue.  Now I've recently went back to Windows 8.1 and of course this problem came back.

I would like to know what I can do to fix the issue.  Here's the things I've tried :

* Fresh Restore of the Original OS that came with the Laptop

* Uninstalled the Synaptics driver and HP Control Zone software  and Reinstalled the latest version for Windows 8.1 64 bit - Like 3-4 times

Thanks

Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Ben,

You may be able to get around this as follows.

First, download the Synaptics driver on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

Synaptics Driver Version 17.0.18.8

When done, open windows control panel, open Programs and Features, right click the current Synaptics driver and select Uninstall.

When complete, restart the notebook.

When windows has reloaded, open your Downloads folder and run the Synaptics installer - when this has completed, restart the notebook again.

Let windows fully load for a few minutes before checking.

Note:  In the synaptics control panel, it the 'Edge Swipes' option is expressed, you'll probably need to de-select it.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi Ben,

You may be able to get around this as follows.

First, download the Synaptics driver on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

Synaptics Driver Version 17.0.18.8

When done, open windows control panel, open Programs and Features, right click the current Synaptics driver and select Uninstall.

When complete, restart the notebook.

When windows has reloaded, open your Downloads folder and run the Synaptics installer - when this has completed, restart the notebook again.

Let windows fully load for a few minutes before checking.

Note:  In the synaptics control panel, it the 'Edge Swipes' option is expressed, you'll probably need to de-select it.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

That did the trick, David! Thank you much

HP Recommended

Hi Ben,

You're welcome and good to hear it's Ok :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

DavidPK,

Problems with the touchpad are back. 

Now here's the deal... I installed the drivers/software you recommended and it works great during that session, however, whenever I shut it down and boot back up (or restart)  the Synaptics driver/software disappears. Meaning I cannot configure it for the Gestures/Scrolling/Flicking, etc..- The Synaptics tab under Control Panel > Mouse is no longer there. Now even though the touchpad actually works, I just cannot use all it's features. 

I get the message that it's unable to connect to the Touchpad at some point and would I like to uninstall the software.

Only solution is to either use an External mouse or keep reinstalling the software for one use only.

As you imagine this is becoming quite frustrating as I don't think I've ever run into this many problems with a touchpad.  

HP Recommended

Hi Ben,

Try the Synaptics driver version on the following link and see if this is retained after a reboot.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72001-72500/sp72142.exe

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks again for your help, David.

So,  the software seemed to stay after installing this version of the Driver & Software, However. My right single scroll will not work at all even though it's turned on.   And the 2 finger scroll remains in Reverse scroll mode no matter if I uncheck "enable reverse scrolling"  .. the check box keeps coming back and stays in reverse.  

Any more suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hi Ben,

Try the slightly earlier version of the original driver I suggested below,

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64501-65000/sp64969.exe

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Looks like we have a Winner! - I have installed this and everything is functioning as it should with the Touchpad and settings are being saved. 

HP Recommended

Hi Ben,

That's good to hear :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.