Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

please direct me to a good step by step install of win7 on a Win 8.1 preinstall ...

partition are ready 500G each but the problem is my misundertanding of MBR and UEFi ,GPT partition.

i do not want an expanation of the terms, but a way to boot and install WIN7 and Win8.1 as dual boot.

thank you. im not computer dumb.

Mitch

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your HP ENVY 17-j150ca Notebook Computer is basically the same as my HP ENVY 15t-j100 CTO Notebook Computer, only bigger. You will need to provide the Intel AHCI / RAID drivers during the early portion of the installation. Please download "f6flpy-x64.zip" from Intel Download Center. Expand this and place the file/folder on a USB stick. Then;

1)  DISABLE "Secure Boot" and ENABLE "Legacy Support" in the BIOS. Save and EXIT

2)  Enter code as required to acknowledge the change

3)  Reboot and tap "ESC" then "F9" when prompted. Select "UEFI - CD/DVD" or "UEFI - USB Drive... and boot from the Windows 7 SP1 DVD or USB Stick
4)  Click Install Now
5)  Accept License Agreement
6)  When the option is displayed to select an installation type, click (Custom)

7)  There will be a link there called load drivers, insert the USB thumb drive with the Intel AHCI / RAID drivers, select the thumb drive and it should load the correct driver.

😎  Continue installation by following all prompts... MAKE SURE TO SELECT THE UNUSED PARTITON FOR THE INSTALL

GOOD LUCK

Most of the Windows 7 drivers from the HP ENVY TouchSmart 17t-j100 Quad Edition CTO Notebook PC Drivers page should work on your computer.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
HP Recommended

When requesting assistance, please provide the complete model name and product number (p/n) of the HP computer in question. HP/Compaq makes thousands of models of computers. Without this information it may be difficult or impossible to assist you in resolving your issue.

The above requested information can be found on the bottom of your computer, inside the battery compartment or on the startup BIOS screen. Please see How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? for more assistance locating this information. DO NOT include your serial number. Please enter the model/product information into HP's Online Consumer Support page and post it here for our review.

hp label.png

****Disclaimer*****

HP doesn't recommend the installation of Windows 7 on a consumer computer shipped with Windows 8, nor will it support the installation of Windows 7. HP will not provide Windows 7 drivers and suitable drivers may not be available for the hardware in the computer. Also, Windows 7 may not support some of the hardware or software features designed for the computer.

Make sure you create your HP Recovery Discs or USB Flash Recovery media before modifying or changing ANYTHING.

You will need to DISABLE "Secure Boot" and ENABLE "Legacy Support" in the "BIOS Secure Boot configuration" on the settings page similar to what is shown below, before you can attempt to install Windows 7;

or

Select Enabled

Additionally, as the hard drive is most likely partitioned as GPT, you will have to boot the computer using the "UEFI - CD/DVD drive" or "UEFI - USB Flash drive" options in the "F9" boot menu. If "UEFI - CD/DVD drive",  "UEFI - USB Flash drive" or something to that effect doesn't exist in the boot menu, please post a screen shot and/or descibe the listed boot options.

I suggest using Windows 7 SP1 for the best intallation experience. If you need Windows SP1, please see "How to Install Windows 7 Without the Disc" to download and create your own Windows 7 SP1 disc. If the DVD refuses to boot as UEFI, you may need to use a USB Flash drive (may require DISABLING "Fast Boot" in the BIOS) as the installation media. Please download the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool to create a Windows 7 SP1 USB Flash drive. Please note that some computers may not recognize a valid UEFI enabled USB Flash drive if it is formated as NTFS and may require a FAT32 formatted USB Flash drive. You should be able to make a FAT32 formatted Windows 7 installation USB Flash drive using RufusUNetbootin, Universal USB Installer, or WiNToBootic. I like Rufus, as it has options for "GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer" and "FAT32".

Depending on the exact model of your computer, you may also encounter SATA / RAID driver , USB support, and other issues before or during the installation of Windows 7.

Frank

***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP Recommended

Here is the info you requested.

HP ENvy 17 Notebook PC

17 - J150 ca

Prod: E8A19UA#ABL

hope this helps to narrow the installation.

MItch

HP Recommended

Your HP ENVY 17-j150ca Notebook Computer is basically the same as my HP ENVY 15t-j100 CTO Notebook Computer, only bigger. You will need to provide the Intel AHCI / RAID drivers during the early portion of the installation. Please download "f6flpy-x64.zip" from Intel Download Center. Expand this and place the file/folder on a USB stick. Then;

1)  DISABLE "Secure Boot" and ENABLE "Legacy Support" in the BIOS. Save and EXIT

2)  Enter code as required to acknowledge the change

3)  Reboot and tap "ESC" then "F9" when prompted. Select "UEFI - CD/DVD" or "UEFI - USB Drive... and boot from the Windows 7 SP1 DVD or USB Stick
4)  Click Install Now
5)  Accept License Agreement
6)  When the option is displayed to select an installation type, click (Custom)

7)  There will be a link there called load drivers, insert the USB thumb drive with the Intel AHCI / RAID drivers, select the thumb drive and it should load the correct driver.

😎  Continue installation by following all prompts... MAKE SURE TO SELECT THE UNUSED PARTITON FOR THE INSTALL

GOOD LUCK

Most of the Windows 7 drivers from the HP ENVY TouchSmart 17t-j100 Quad Edition CTO Notebook PC Drivers page should work on your computer.

Frank

HP Recommended

Thanks , i will go at it in the morning, ive been at it for over 5 hours now, and ive had enough, the Win7 install fails at your #6 step... theres is no custom install, and there is an error about this partion is or is not TGP...unable to continue..

formating the partion 5 on Disk 0 make no difference..

i will get you more specific info tomorrow.

in using Windows7 Ultimate Vrs..but i also have it mounted on my 16G USB bootable drive..

tomorow i will post images , so much easier then words. 😄

Mitch

HP Recommended

If you are getting a message about not being able to install on a GPT partition, it is because the computer was booted from a non-UEFI boot source or you selected to boot from a legacy boot source.

Again, you will have to boot the computer using the "UEFI - CD/DVD drive" or "UEFI - USB Flash drive" options in the "F9" boot menu. If "UEFI - CD/DVD drive",  "UEFI - USB Flash drive" or something to that effect doesn't exist in the boot menu, please post a screen shot and/or descibe the listed boot options.

Some computers may not recognize a Windows 7 disc as UEFI capable and you may need to use a USB Flash Drive. Also note that some computers may not recognize a valid UEFI enabled USB Flash drive if it is formated as NTFS and may require a FAT32 formatted USB Flash drive. You should be able to make a FAT32 formatted Windows 7 installation USB Flash drive using RufusUNetbootin, Universal USB Installer, or WiNToBootic. I like Rufus, as it has options for "GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer" and "FAT32".

Again, I strongly suggest using Windows 7 SP1 for the best intallation experience. Links to Windows 7 SP1 can be found HERE and HERE, and a here is a direct link to the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool.

Frank

HP Recommended

here are the screen shots..hope this helps..

NB 019.jpgNB 020.jpg

HP Recommended

i downloaded Rufus, but nothing is said about creating an ISO image from my Win7 DVD????

is this correct, why cant i just drop the files on teh USB drive..

HP Recommended
Used Rufus to get teh MBR setup right.. droped WIN7 files on USB rebooted , chose USB devise and ended up with a DOS box C:/
are we having fun yet..
HP Recommended

MOre images to help out...

IMG_4567.JPG

IMG_4568.JPGIMG_4569.JPG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.