Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5546 Ultrabook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

This morning I had a blue screen on my laptop which displays the below message. Can you please help.

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The boot configuration data file doesn't contain valid informationfor an operating system.

File:\BCD

Error code: 0xc0000098.

Model : HP Envy Sleekbook 4 PC

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Shutdown the notebook. 

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Diagnostic Menu option ( f2 ) and run the tests on the Hard Drive.

Post back with the results, including any error codes that may be generated.

Can you also post back with the following.

1.  The full Model No. and Product No. of your notebook - see Here for a guide on locating this information.

2.  Just so that I'm certain on this, is the path detailed in the error File: \Boot\BCD or file  \EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BCD

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hi,

Shutdown the notebook. 

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Diagnostic Menu option ( f2 ) and run the tests on the Hard Drive.

Post back with the results, including any error codes that may be generated.

Can you also post back with the following.

1.  The full Model No. and Product No. of your notebook - see Here for a guide on locating this information.

2.  Just so that I'm certain on this, is the path detailed in the error File: \Boot\BCD or file  \EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BCD

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks very much David ,

I will post the results of the Diagnostics in my next post. Please find the details of the laptop

HP Envy ultrabook

Serial: CND2371GY2

product: COU888EA#ABU

Model: 4-1101sa

Rev: 1894-110

Regards,

Snl1

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

Could you also confirm whether the path detailed in the boot error you're getting is File: \Boot\BCD or file  \EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BCD

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi David,

I have run the diagnostic test for the hard drives ,

1- Selected F2 and ran Hard Drive Extensive test.

Tested all drives.

Results

Hard drive SMART check : passed

Hard drive Short DST check : passed

Hard drive Optimised DST check : Not available

Hard drive long DST check : Passed

The blue screen error display

File:\BCD

Error code : 0xc0000098

Thanks

Snl1

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

First of all, use another PC to create a bootable Windows 10 DVD or USB Flash Drive via the following link.  Under the section 'Need to create a USB, DVD or ISO', download the Media Creation Tool.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have this, run the tool, select 'Create installation media for another PC', then select the language, edition of Windows 10, and 64bit.

Follow the rest of the prompts to create this and then click Finish when completed.

Insert the Windows 10 Installation Media and Shutdown the notebook by holding down the power button for 10 seconds.

Tap away at the esc key as soon as you press the power button to enter the Start-up Menu and then select the Boot Options Menu ( f9 ).

Use the arrow keys to highlight the CDROM or USB Flash Driver option, depending on which type of media you created, then hit enter - if prompted to 'Press any key to continue....' - do so.

Boot to the Advanced Start-up Options Menu - see Option 5 on the link below for details on accessing this.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanced-startup-options-boot-windows-10-a.html#option5

On the Advanced options screen, select the Command Prompt - See option 1 on This Link for a detailed guide on accessing the Command Prompt.

Once you have launched the Command Prompt, enter the following commands and hit enter after each one - include spaces as shown.

Bootrec.exe

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

c:

cd boot

attrib bcd -s -h -r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /RebuildBcd

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

Remove the instalation media and try rebooting the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks very much  for your quick reply David,

I will try those steps and keep you posted.

Regards,

Sunil

HP Recommended

Ok :generic:

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Just want to let you know that I would get access to another windows pc/laptop later this evening.

Regards,

Snl1

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Good morning. Just a quick question. During the creation of the bootable USB flash drive there was option to choose the edition of Win 10  ( I remember there were 3 options and the first 2 were 1) win 10 and 2) win 10 home edition with single language pack ). I choose the win 10 but I think my laptop has win 10 home edition but was not sure if was a single language pack. Could you please let me know if this would make any difference?

Regards,

Snl1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.