cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

HP Envy Intermittant "Boot Drive Inaccessible" BSOD Troubleshooting Aid

HP Recommended
HP Envy 17m-ce1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all! I would really appreciate some troubleshooting advice for an intermittent Blue-Screen that my computer has been suffering from. I'll try to keep everything as concise as possible.

Basic System Specs:

Windows 10 64 bit (Version 1903)

Intel(R) Core i7 1.80 GHz

12 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce MX250 (version 27.21.14.5167 as of 7/5/20)

Realtek High Definition Audio (6.0.8734.1)

Some background. I received my current computer back in mid-Feburary as a replacement from HP (my previous computer had an elusive hardware issue). It is almost the same computer, with a notable exception being that I'm now using an SSD drive, rather than a traditional one. The computer has been great, except for the same intermittent Blue-Screen error/crash that I have been receiving pretty much since I got the computer.

The stop-code is "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE." Sometimes the computer will restart by itself, and will recover itself just fine. Sometimes, a black screen will appear with the words "Boot Device Not Found. Please Install an operating system on your hard disk." This requires me to manually shut-down the computer, but after turning it back on again it will recover itself just fine. This crash happens anywhere from about once a day to once a week.

In contrast to most people, for me this error always occurs in the middle of a session (not at start-up), and almost always in the middle of a Skype call, a video game, a YouTube video, or some other similar task.

The crash is not correlated with any Windows 10 updates or BIOS updates, unless it is one that was installed back in February as part of computer set-up, and pausing Windows updates for a bit has not solved the issue. The HP support app thinks that all my drivers are up-to-date, and I have used some specialized software from NVIDIA to keep my graphics driver up to date. This also has not solved the issue. I also checked my disk using the CHDSK/f/r command, and no errors were found or corrected. The computer passed all of HP's hardware diagnostic tests.

If anyone has ideas of what could be causing this recurring crash, and further steps I could take to troubleshoot it, I would be most appreciative. While the computer boots up just fine and is usable, I have already had several game-saves corrupted by this crash, and I am concerned that some much more vital system files might eventually be corrupted.

Thank you for your time,

-Egvb

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,179 12,165 675 504
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Egvb

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's perform a test here: 

• Make sure the power cord and adapter is connected to the system and wall outlet.
  • Press and hold the power button until the computer turns off completely.
  • Turn on the computer.
  • Immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second, until the UEFI Hardware Diagnostics screen is displayed.
  • In the UEFI Main menu, select Component Tests.
  • In the Component Tests menu, select Hard Drive.

Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day

I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Betty!

Thank you for your reply. I did as you said and ran a component test of my hard drive. If I remember correctly, I ran both a fast check and a smart check, and my hard drive passed both times.

While I was at it, I ran a couple more component tests, including a processor, memory, and motherboard check. They all passed. The only thing that didn't was a BlueTooth check (which froze in the middle of the test), but I doubt that's related...

So...any other suggestions? The problem is persisting still.

Thanks!

-egvb

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation