Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I'm trying to do the initial setup of my new HP Envy laptop, and I went through all the steps until it gets to the page where it prompted me to enter my phone number.  When I clicked Next, it advances to a blank page and doesn't go any further from there to complete the setup.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @NicoleM2 

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

You are not really required to enter name or phone number to complete the setup. The way it is setup is a bit tricky but there are ways to bypass this. Microsoft designed it so that it leads you to a longer/worse way ...

Please, press and hold the power-on button of the computer, hold it for at least 5-6 seconds until the device powers off completely. Wait a while and press the button once again to start the device again. Since the setup hasn't been completed, it should start from the beginning.

Make sure your device is NOT connected to the Internet during the setup. If necessary, turn off your home modem/router temporary until you complete the setup.

During the setup make sure you choose the option to setup the machine WITHOUT Microsoft account. Instead, create the classic standard local account >> https://www.thewindowsclub.com/install-windows-10-local-account

For that account, all that is needed is some name (or nickname) and optionally a password.

Once Windows is setup and you see your desktop, re-enable back your router, connected to the Internet and update Windows.

No Microsoft account is really needed to login to the PC.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.