Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Laptop CD Key

HP 255 G5

Hi

I have a client that brought in their hp laptop that was not booting up. After testing we found the drive had crashe .  We need to replace the driv .  How would we find the OS the laptop had as well as the CD key to activate windows.  Laptop is a HP 255 G5. 

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
114,621 104,799 16,542 25,381
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Laptop CD Key

Hi:

Some models came with W10 and the product key is in the BIOS.

Some models came with FreeDOS and the user supplies their own operating system.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to use the Microsoft media creation tool to create a bootable installation USB drive, and install W10.  I would try W10 Pro first, since it is a business-class notebook.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If the PC came with W10, then the installation media should work, install W10, and automatically activate.

If it does not activate, use the free utility that I zipped up and attached below, that will show you what version of W10 the product key is good for, and you can install that version instead.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation