Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello - My HP Notebook recently began showing me the 601 battery warning upon start up.  At first when message appeared laptop would continue start up and then operate as normal. Then a few times warning would appear at startup, computer would operate then close down in a few minutes.  Now computer is completely dead and will not even try to start up even when being plugged in. I have taken battery off the back and plugged it in without that battery with no luck.  This laptop was not over used, always kept current with updates, scanned for threats, etc  so I am doubtful its been infected.

Any suggestions to try and remedy before I toss this is appreciated.  I have read there are 2 batteries, where the 2nd one is I have no clue so a suggestions for dummies approach would be best for anyone who might reply.

thank you very much in advance.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Lovey_Howell 

The battery just needs to be replaced.

Product introduced mid-2016

Product Homepage

HP Notebook - 15-ay039wm (ENERGY STAR)

The main battery on the notebook is "external", that is, it snaps out of the case and can be easily replaced.

Details are included in the product service guide:

HP Notebook PC (Intel) * Models: 15-ay000 - 15-ay099 HP 250 G5 Notebook PC HP 256 G5 Notebook PC - ...

Page 36

Battery
4-cell, 41-Whr, 2.8-Ah Li-ion battery     807957-001
3-cell, 31-Whr, 2.8-Ah Li-ion battery     807956-001

Parts and information for this product:

Part Surfer - USA - X0H85UA

The 3-cell battery, designated for your Product is generally available from HP, though it does currently show on backorder(currently out of stock) at the HP Parts Store

Purchase a replacement part ( 807956-001  ) from your favorite online merchant.

A quick check shows several merchants with the part in stock, including the mighty Amazon.com

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Notebook - 15-ay039wm (ENERGY STAR)

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.