Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp envy laptop 17 - cg0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I attempted to install the las bios update  proposed by HP support Assistant, at the last step, I got the following message: "The BIOS you are trying to install is older than the current version in the unit, it might cause functional risk if you install it. Are you sure that you want to install?" Next or Exit. I selected "Exit" and did not proceed further based on the message as it indicates this is an older version I am trying to install. When I look at the current version installed on my laptop, it shows as follows: "BIOS Version/Date Insyde F12, 11/10/2020" I am confused as it appears the version currently installed on my laptop is F12 (11/10/2020) is older and this version is F.21 (January 13, 2021) going by the number appears newer. Am I missing something? Does these versions numbers mean anything? My logic would tell me F.21 would be a newer version then F12. But I am perplexed now.

yla
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you look at the support page for your notebook, there seems to be two sets of BIOS updates with the same release date.

I'm going to post what I see in English, but you can see it from the below link in French too.

There is the F.21 you are referring to and the release date of the update is Jan 13, 2021

Then the release notes for F.21 indicate this...

Fix and enhancements:

- Provides support for Windows 10 v20H2.
- Provides improved security.

There is also a revision F.11 with the same release date of Jan 13, 2021 and this is what the release notes indicate...

Fix and enhancements:

- Provides support for Windows 10 v20H2.
- Provides improved security.
- Improves system temperature control.
- Improves system memory performance.

Your notebook has revision F.12, which is newer than F.11 and F.12 isn't even on the support page.

If your notebook is running fine, then I recommend that you remain on F.12, because F.21 is probably an older version of the BIOS (equivalent to F.11).

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

My understanding is that the confusion is coming from the name of the version instaled on my computer wich is F12 (maybe instead of F.12) so the F.21 is considered older than F12 certainly due to the dotcom bteween the F and the number of the version....

your advices??

Yves

yla
HP Recommended

Hi, Yves:

My advice remains to leave the BIOS on the version it is on now, since your notebook is reporting that you are installing an older version.

If the notebook is running fine on F12, then I don't see an urgent need to update it--especially in light of the fact that your currently installed BIOS provided the same updates as F.21, and then some.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.