Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Omen 15-dh0004ur
Linux

I have problem with BIOS on my laptop. It looks like a bug with error code, some method(s) is not implemented.

ACPI BIOS error (bug): Could not resolve [\SB.PCI0.LPCB.HEC.ECAV], AE_NOT_FOUND (20181213/psargs-330)

ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \TZ.FNCL, AE_NOT_FOUND (20181213/pspargs-531)

ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \TZ.FN01._ON, AE_NOT_FOUND (20181213/pspargs-531) ....

You can find more information on the screenshots 

I've tryed to use option nouveau.setmode=0 after --- in grub (edit mode) Also nomodeset option, it doesn't help with installation.

nouveau.setmode=0 option

Once by some miracle ubuntu distr have done the setup, without any errors, but after reloading I haven't seen anything in boot options (UEFI)

I followed the instruction by ubuntu server instalation https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/hpc/The-Best-Way-To-Install-Ubuntu-16-04-with-NVIDIA-Drivers-and-C... and faced with the same problems

Only one way to drop this error - add option  acpi=off but in this case I have no a lot of features on my laptop

I tried to connect with HP support assistants but they told me - we don't support any linux distrs, only windows, sorry. Maybe later we'll update BIOS, and your problem will be solved.

Could anybody help me to fix this issue?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Instead of acpi=off use pci=nommconf kernel option in case you hadn't figure it out by now. Cheers!

HP Recommended

Sorry, but it doesn't help

HP Recommended

sorry to hear that. I think I had to set legacy boot as well in the bios until I installed linux arch. I pressed E in the grub menu of the live usb install pendrive added pci=nommconf and the live usb finally brought me to a working shell. After the installation process I switched back to uefi mode and added kernel option pci=nommconf and everything works fine. ACPI error still pops up at the early boot stage but then it continues.

HP Recommended

I have had this problem with my Omen for over a year!

As mentioned the error happens at the "Early Bot stage" ONLY now, and the computer boots fine.

The only thing I can add differently is

try adding:

acpi=strict 

in grub's config file (I am sure at this point you now how to do that) ... if not just ask

Mark

HP Recommended

Here is another trick I have used, which stops or kinda ?ignores? the hundred if not more, of the ACPI errors at startup.

It restricts how long Ubuntu will hangup on a specific error (for lack of a better explanation!)

Anyway, it is good to keep bot time snappy for me at least ... here it is:

Limit Time Sop Jobs from taking 1 minute 30 seconds to run hundreds of acpi:3400 errors

sudo gedit /etc/systemd/system.conf,

and change

DefaultTimeoutStartSec=3s

DefaultTimeoutStopSec=3s

(Always a good idea)

sudo update-initramfs -u

HP Recommended

Hi, any acpi manipulations just doesn't work at all.
Only acpi=off, but with this option I can't work as well with my laptop.
I can't manage /etc/systemd/system.conf, because I can't setup any linux distr on my laptop, I can't continue the setup because of error.

Thanks for you help!

HP Recommended

Same issue for me and it is super annoying. I think the ACPI table in the BIOS setup does not meet the standard configuration. IN other words the ACPI table is crap. I think this is something that needs a firmware fix in order to work. I'm not sure what that would look like though. HP support?

HP Recommended

No offence ...

... but this error is common on So many Dell and Hp ... newer laptops.

though there are many ACPI errors ... one should still be ABLE to install a Linux Distro (in my experience) ... at least Ubuntu.

and after the boot process the error has no ill effects ... albeit SUPER ANNOYING!

It plagues the startup ... but does NOT (in my experience) stop the laptop from booting (at least in the past 6-12 months).

AS you are likely well aware ACPI is a WINDOWS/Hp/Dell new "Advanced Configuration Power Interface" ... BIOS ?thing? 

but to specifically help ANYONE who has Ubuntu Startup Problems ...

There is a tried and true program "Ubuntu boot-repair" ran from the livecd (USB) ... it is great for dealing with problematic ... ... Dual Boot Boot Issues ...

Just trying to help, Mark

HP Recommended

Thanks for trying to help. However, Ubuntu will not boot without acpi=off. The only distro that boots is Mint. Some distros like Elementary won't even boot with acpi=off.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.