Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Omen 15-5001na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Following help from the community, I've been attempting to install the OS onto my new replacement SSD HD. At first Windows setup would not recognize the hard drive but after selecting the "UEFI Firmware Settings" in the repair Advanced options it suddenly recognized my new hard drive (see image below) and I can proceed with OS installation:

I run Windows set-up and it appears to be successful.

Windows set-up tells me it must restart. 

When I restart I am taken to the Boot Device Not Found page (see image) and then on to the Startup menu page (see image). 

I am effectively back to square one because pressing ENTER to "Continue Startup" takes me back to the first page of Windows set-up again!

I tried removing the USB key after Set-up forces the restart (to prevent booting back to key) but this just takes me directly to the "Boot Device Not Found" page" 

I'm beginning to wonder if my HD was never faulty and that there is another underlying hardware issue, such as the controller that connects up the hard drive. 

Is there anything else I should try? I have ordered the HP recovery media, but I am now expecting to experience the same issues with that.  

Help appreciated. 

20190509_203856.jpg20190509_203708.jpg20190509_203744.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@munrorunner

Since those SSD Hard drives have not been tested with your Notebook, it's difficult to confirm which one will work. I suggest you take your Notebook to a Local tech or Computer Store for the Hard drive replacement instead of ordering and trying out different SSD Hard drive. 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@munrorunner

Welcome to HP Community

May I know where did you get the HP Recovery Media from? Did you create one earlier?

I suggest you perform a BIOS Default

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.

2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.

3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.

4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.

5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?

6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

If the issue persists, run a Hard drive Test to confirm the Hardware Functionality and keep me posted how it goes

You can refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01443463

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding your question about the HP Recovery Media: The original issue was with that my Omen started freezing during Windows start-up, just after the login page. I ran HP diagnostics which immediately reported Hard Drive failure. I attempted recovery with the HP Recovery Media that I had previously created. This reinstalled the original Windows 8.1 but the Hard Drive errors were still reported in diagnostics. I decided to install a new upgraded Samsung SDD. However, something happened to my HP Recovery Media USB during this process and it stopped working completely!

Since then I have been attempting to recover using Windows Setup Media (from their Creation Tool). My message refers to the use of the Windows Setup Media. 

I have already ordered the HP Recovery Media from the HP website. It should arrive this week and then I shall follow your instruction and reattempt set-up using the new HP Recovery Media. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again! 

HP Recommended

@munrorunner

Try performing the System Recovery once again with the new HP Recovery Media and keep me posted if you need further assistance 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

@KrazyToad

Got recovery media but it came up with error "No HDD". 

I reinstalled the old 'faulty' hard drive and found it could accept the recovery media. So I investigated further. My new SSD is a NVMe M.2 which was listed as compatible on the retailer site but I think this may be the problem. I can't find information to confirm it should work but the user manual only gives the option for SARA or PCIe.

Update: I'm sure my laptop supports PCIe NVMe but it appears there is an issue with my specific model - Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVME M.2. I created a USB disk to flash the latest BIOS then reinstalled the new SSD but the situation is the same. Every option I follow does not detect a hard drive! 

I have been reading many articles but can't work out a. What is the issue and b. What PCIe SSD would be compatible!

HP Recommended

@munrorunner

Here is a List of SSD Hard drives that have been tested and known to work with your Notebook

You can refer to the Service Guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04620176

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi KrazyToad

Thanks, I'm aware of the information in the service guide but none of the Spare parts are available from HP anymore. It means I need compatible components. The Samsung 960 Evo is 512GB SSD, M.2 PCIe is what I tried and should work according to your list, but it doesn't. I've relentlessly searched this forum and found that some new PCIe drives aren't recognised, such as mine. Therefore it's difficult to know which one to buy. I think I'll have to get a SATA one as I can't find any PCIe ones that claim to work and are available to purchase new! I've seen @Huffer discuss this same issue with some other users but I've never seen a recommended SSD. I think these are my best options but I'm concerned about buying another non-compatible one:

1. https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/hp-omen-15-5001na/CT11439658 (This is SATA so I'll gain capacity but not speed as my current one is PCIe)

2. https://www.wd.com/en-gb/products/internal-ssd/wd-blue-3d-nand-sata-ssd.html#WDS500G2B0B 

WD BLUE 3D NAND SATA SSD

3. https://www.samsung.com/uk/memory-storage/860-evo-sata-3-m-2-ssd/MZ-N6E500BW/

Samsung EVO 860 SATA

4. https://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/consumer/SA1000M8 

Kingston A1000 - this is the only PCIe version I think might work. It also has the 3 prong form on the card, as my original 256GB PCIe card has. 

Is there a way I can know which options will work? 

Thanks

HP Recommended

@munrorunner

Since those SSD Hard drives have not been tested with your Notebook, it's difficult to confirm which one will work. I suggest you take your Notebook to a Local tech or Computer Store for the Hard drive replacement instead of ordering and trying out different SSD Hard drive. 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

FYI, I went with the Crucial MX500, 1TB SATA. It works. 

In the end I didn't think it was worth putting into a shop in the end because I expect they would have had to have gone through the same process and come back recommending the SATA drive. I think the PCIe technology has moved on such that there are not compatible versions available on the market now. 

Thanks for your input and support. 

HP Recommended

@munrorunner

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.