Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
My sons laptop won't start. I've run the diagnostic tool and it says the hard disk has failed the SMART test.

Failure ID 934043-6H374J-MFPX0K-60AE03
Product ID C6K18EA#ABU

Am I right in thinking this indicates a hard drive failure?

If so, the laptop is about 18 months old so is this common?
Is a replacement hard drive a viable option?
He has no installation media so how can we reinstall the OS (win8)?

Thanking you in anticipation!
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi Lippy-uk

Please follow instructions from the following document: SMART HARD DRIVE ERROR - HP Notebook

Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Regards

Visruth

HP Recommended
@Lippy-UK

Replacement is the only viable option I think. Ask for Recovery media CD/DVD from HP for your product model. You can easily reinstall Windows after replacement. Windows product key for the model is already in the BIOS, so you have to just use your Recovery media to restore OS. Contact HP in your region citing product model number, Warranty ID obtained from diagnostic test and other product details.

Thanks
Visruth
HP Recommended

Hi,

The failure ID will either be a Smart or Disk Self Test failure - both would indicate that your Hard Drive is failing and will need to be replaced.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended
Thanks for your advice and links.

I tried to find the contract details for HP but the 'chat' feature doesn't work on tablets (isn't it about time the website features worked on all devices?!).

So I clicked the call tab to be told it was 5p/minute and was now closed. I decided to phone the next day from work so took note of the details but ... the phone number was not on the we bpage ... Someone obviously decided that because they were shut they would hide the number!

The next day I searched and found the page again, and this time the number was there, so I called. Having been warned again of the cost and having to listen to recorded messages about recordings, cost and data protection, I eventually got through to a person. I explained the issue ... She said if I didn't have the laptop with me she couldn't help. I explained it wouldn't turn on and that I had all the details with me, but she refused to help further, saying I had to call back with the laptop in front of me.

The next day I called the number again and went through the same recorded messages. This time when I got through they didn't even ask if I had the laptop with me! He asked the details, made me create an account and then said he had to pass it on to sales!

I was then passed over ... He asked a couple of questions then quoted £194 to collect it, replace the hard drive and return it. I asked if I could buy the part and fit it myself. He said yes but it was £170! Either they do the labour for free or they charge a premium for the part only!

I asked him to email me those details ... But he said he couldn't email out of the office due to customer data! I had to get him to repeat this as I couldn't believe what he was saying!

I then asked for the details of the hard drive required, but he said he couldn't give me any details as they just get a list of parts but no serial numbers!

I took the direct line phone number and said I'd think about it!
HP Recommended

I have a HD failure and had a recovery drive on external HD,  but I suppose this will not work?  Laptop is not under warranty,  though hardly used!!!!!!! That's what really pisses me off! Now I need to throw  this 1TB disk away and buy something else!!!  So if you can please advise me where better to buy a new or used HD and what steps to follow?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.