Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv5-2035dx
Other

Product: Pavilion dv5-2035dx

OS: Dual boot Linux Mint 16 and Windows 7 Home 64-bit (no HP recovery partition)

HP Recovery Disks: I have them but can't use them because the DVD laser doesn't work (CD only)

Symptoms:

• While in normal use, screen suddenly had black and grey vertical lines
  • After restart, computer turns on and fan runs, but screen is black
  • CTRL button flashes white light: 2 flashes, pause and repeat (BIOS corruption)

Hello, I am trying to recover from BIOS corruption, hoping it's not a failing mobo. 

I downloaded the latest BIOS update for my system, but I can't get this file to install on an external USB using HP's instructions for restoring the BIOS.

At step 1.11, I don't get the "HP System BIOS Update Utility" screen. Instead, I get this:

snip.JPG

My questions:

1. Is there any easy way to get this .exe on a USB? (I have tried 3 computers and 3 USB cards, so WTH?!)

2. If not, can I just unpack it and create a bootable USB in another program by copy/pasting the BIOS file?

3. Is there anything else I should try before flashing the BIOS???

Thanks in advance for your assistance. ^^  

UPDATE: The "BIOS error" was actually the video card that failed due to repeated overheating. The repair shop replaced the video card and repaired the overheating problem (I didn't ask how), and my computer is as good as new.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

For anyone who has a similar problem with their computer, my "BIOS error" (as coded by my computer's flashing lights) turned out to be a failed video card.

The repair shop said this happens when computers overheat frequently, which mine often did. So, they changed the video card and fixed the overheating problem, and my computer is back in working order. 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

HI @sugarbear310,

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy: 

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide:

Learn How to Post and More.

I grasp that you are trying to save your bios files to the USB drive, but following the instructions you have not been successful.  

I am assuming you are using a different computer.

You should be able to download the bios software file and choose run.  You should then get the install wizard to follow and create the USB flash drive.

Once completed you should be able to take it to your notebook to restore the bios.

Please let me know if this helped.

Thank you  for participating in the HP Forums! We want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue as yourself. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as   "Accept as Solution"   to help other community  members!

To show appreciation for my efforts, please click the   Thumbs Up icon   below.  

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

For anyone who has a similar problem with their computer, my "BIOS error" (as coded by my computer's flashing lights) turned out to be a failed video card.

The repair shop said this happens when computers overheat frequently, which mine often did. So, they changed the video card and fixed the overheating problem, and my computer is back in working order. 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.