Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV7
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have an HP Pavilion DV7-6C23CL that originally came with Windows 7 Home installed. I installed Windows 10 over the Windows 7 installation because of credit card industry PCI compliance, then discovered that my CAD software won't run on Win10.

I purchased and installed Windows 7 Professional on a separate partition. I was able to use the HP product driver page to get most things working. However, I cannot find drivers for the SM Bus Controller or Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controllers. It would not matter to me much if it were not for the fact that the WiFi adapter is failing. I purchased a new TP-Link Archer T9UH WiFi adapter that uses USB 3.0. The adapter works great in Windows 10 environment, but I cannot get it to run in Windows 7 Pro. The device manager can see the device, but cannot communicate with it. I have tried plugging into different USB ports with no success. However, my Microsoft wireless mouse works fine.

I have tried downloading the software here as suggested years ago by Paul_Tikkanen

https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-series-processors/amd-a8-series-apu-for-laptops/a8-3520m-rade...

So far, this has been no help, and I am concerned about bloatware. My CAD software works better than ever on a clean Win7!!

Thank you for any help that can be provided.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Installing the W7 64 bit AMD chipset drivers from the link below and restarting the PC should install both the USB 3 controllers and the smbus controller.

740G Drivers & Support | AMD

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Installing the W7 64 bit AMD chipset drivers from the link below and restarting the PC should install both the USB 3 controllers and the smbus controller.

740G Drivers & Support | AMD

HP Recommended

Thank you! That did it. I really appreciate your quick response, and highly useful information!

Tim

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Tim.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.