Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook Folio 9480m, i5-4210U, M85 Ver. 01.50 2/24/2020, 16Gb, 500gb SSD
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does any know if/when the subject table will be updated (URL below)? I am a little concerned about updating to 2004 given some of the published horror stories.

All software and drivers are up to date, and Windows update informs "Feature update to Windows 10 version 2004" is available.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05195282

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@SJ00884 

Yes, I'm aware of the MS list of v20.04 update issues as I link to that same thread when folks here ask about the update.

But, MS has claimed repeatedly, that if your PC is being offered the update that NONE of those issues apply to your PC.  And yeah, I know we need to take their claims with more than a grain of salt -- which is why I advise folks to do an image backup prior to doing the update.

As to waiting, that is problematic, for several reasons:

1) We have no idea when MS is going to fix all these issues, as they will probably trickle out, one at a time, through individual windows updates

2) The issue list grows every week -- so unless this stops, the waiting could be a LONG time

3) We're still trusting that MS is being straightforward with us regarding both the issues and the fixes -- and as I said, the best approach is to make an image backup just in case.

BTW, I have updated four PCs from v19.09 to v20.04 and have not run into issues on any of them -- but they are older PCs (newest is 5 years old) and these issues seem to affect more modern equipment.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@SJ00884 

We have no idea when or if that information will be updated, as HP does  not provide us any advanced notice or schedult.

IF your PC is being offered the v2004 update, that means there are no hardware issues that will block it.

But BEFORE you do that, you should follow the information below to make an image backup of your PC -- that way, if anything goes wrong during or after the update, you have something to restore FROM.

------------------------

I personally prefer to use third-party Backup solutions as they tend to be both more flexible and more reliable than any built-in solutions.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 15 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.

Plus, MR has the option to Add a Recovery Boot Menu entry. This allows you then to boot into WinRE, and you can then use that to do a restore -- when you can't boot into Windows!

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

HP Recommended

I thought that if it was offered  it was indeed safe to go into the water, but in the last week "HP Development Co. LP - System 7.0.15.1 dtd 6/15/20 and then 7.0.16.1 on 6/18/20 were pushed thru Win update. I don't know what they are for but it appears that drivers are still being updated. There also are still lots of issues which make waiting a bit a prudent option. You can check the latest status here.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004?ranMID=43674&ran...

Will investigate MR.. Thanks for the tip!

HP Recommended

@SJ00884 

Yes, I'm aware of the MS list of v20.04 update issues as I link to that same thread when folks here ask about the update.

But, MS has claimed repeatedly, that if your PC is being offered the update that NONE of those issues apply to your PC.  And yeah, I know we need to take their claims with more than a grain of salt -- which is why I advise folks to do an image backup prior to doing the update.

As to waiting, that is problematic, for several reasons:

1) We have no idea when MS is going to fix all these issues, as they will probably trickle out, one at a time, through individual windows updates

2) The issue list grows every week -- so unless this stops, the waiting could be a LONG time

3) We're still trusting that MS is being straightforward with us regarding both the issues and the fixes -- and as I said, the best approach is to make an image backup just in case.

BTW, I have updated four PCs from v19.09 to v20.04 and have not run into issues on any of them -- but they are older PCs (newest is 5 years old) and these issues seem to affect more modern equipment.

HP Recommended

Thanks and appreciate the thoughts. Given my device will be 5 years old, I am feeling better perhaps about the update. Just waiting on a larger capacity USB drive to arrive and will then let MR do its thing. 

Now where did I file that article about how 2004 stirs things around so that I can find things once they moved? 🤔

HP Recommended

Update: Followed all of your instructions and have installed W10 2004 seemingly without issue, that is, beyond a trashed MS Office installation where both the Start Menu objects and task bar shortcuts were rendered unworkable. Running Repair" from Program & Features menu did not solve the issue, a reinstall (w/o performing an uninstall prior to) solved the issue and all is well that ends well. 

I have noticed an improvement in performance since the upgrade. Not certain if that is due to more efficient utilization of resources or something else, say the placebo effect 🤣

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.