Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I was trying to reset my Windows using the standard HP Recovery Tool on my laptop.

But during the first phase of the installation the tool crashed, and now the option (and the tool as well) is not availabale for troubleshooting any more though OS was not re-installed and laptop is actually not bootable any more.

Can I somehow download the image of the OS that was originally installed on the notebook to install it from external USB device? Or maybe there's a chance to run the recovery tool from the command line even when it is not available from the menu on the "blue screen"?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Tatjana

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear @Echo_Lake,

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunatelly, it did not help.

My laptop HP Pavillion Power 15-cb091nd does not seem to be supported by HP Cloud Recovery Tool - I do not find the appropriate model in the list (also I believe it ran Windows 10 Home edition but not Professional).

As for the System Recovery described via the link you provided - that's exactly what I tried to perform before writing to the forum. 

I did the steps described in https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961#AbT3, section "Recovery when Windows 10 does not start correctly". I performed everything till step 10.
But at this point, while doing "Reformatting the Windows partition of your hard drive" Recovery Manager accidentally crashed and now it is not available any more.

Now when I try to boot the laptop, I see just the black screen with the message "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key". HP Recovery Manager is no more available when I enter the Troubleshoot option. I tried to search for it on the hard drive but with no luck.

ProductID is 2FN08EA#ABH.

With best regards,

Tatjana

HP Recommended

@Tatjana

Thank you for posting back. 

Let's run a hard drive test using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics.

Please click here to download sp98768.exe, or go to the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Supporting Website.

1. Plug the AC adapter into the computer.
  2. Press the Power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  3. Turn on the computer and start pressing Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  4. When the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics menu displays, click Component Tests.
  5. In the Component Tests menu, click Hard Drive.
  6. Click the Quick Test.
  7. Click Run once. If the computer has more than one hard drive, click Test All Hard Drives. The Quick Test begins.
  8. If the computer has more than one hard drive, select the drive you want to test. To test all the hard drives, select Test All Hard Drives.

When a test is complete, the results display on the screen. Test results are also available in the Test Logs on the main menu.

If the hard drive passes the Quick Test, but a problem still exists with the hard drive, run the Extensive Test. This test includes the SMART Check, Short DST, Optimized DST, and Long DST. To run a specific test, select it from the Hard Drive Tests menu.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear ECHO_LAKE,

I ran both Quick and Extensive tests for All Hard Drives. Both of them passed not showing any errors (and there is no Test Logs item in my menu to check the details).
Unfortunately, this did not help - the system is still not bootable.

With best regards,
Tatyana

HP Recommended

@Tatjana
Thank you for posting back. 

As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Echo_Lake,

Thank you for your support! 

I'll take your advise and will contact local support!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.