Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
I was in The process of trying to remove a 268d3 Microsoft Popup that had locked up my laptop and was trying to restart in Safe Mode. On the first attempt, I powered it on then repeatedly kept pressing the F8 key. Lots of start options came up, but none for starting in safe mode with networking. I pressed esc and I powered it off. 2nd attempt I did 't hit the F8 key fast enough and starting Windows came up, so I shut it off again. The third attempt I pressed the F8 key before I hit the power button and after some beeps, I got a message windows would 't start and was searching for a resolution. After that a pop-up came up asking to perform a system restore. I cancelled it, because I didn't want to lose all my pictures, etc. Then HP Recovery Manager popped up with several options and I selected Backup as precaution. It began creating a backup, showing the files and the percentage of progress. Then it suddenly started the process all over again, going much faster, but showing 0 percent for at least 10-15 minutes then after 9% a Popup came up saying HP Recovery Manager failed. Error FFFFFF14. On the portion of the file under the Popup it showed D:\Users. Someone please help me ASAP!!! I'm paralyzed with fear that I'm going to lose all my precious pictures and files. I have a LaCie 1T External Hard Drive that Genie 9 Timeline Home 2015 backs up to and also the Cloud service Sugar Sync. I don't know if the virus or whatever it is has infected those backups or not. I have researched all this for hours and I am beyond confused and upset. I'm not a technical person and I sure hope someone here will be able to walk me through what I need to do. I'm afraid to turn off my laptop.!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Mrich1

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution
You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉
To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And accept this as the solution to help others find your post helpful.
Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Mrich1

Welcome to HP Forums, 

this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand the HP Recovery Manager failed on creating the backup with the Error FFFFFF14,

Don't worry as I have a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here for details.

Let me know how that pans out, 

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hey ther Riddle_Decipher. Thank you so much for responding to my problem and for offering your assistance. I was so desperate earlier today that I took my laptop to a PC Repair shop. Thank God he knew exactly what to do. He was able to somehow cancel the HP Recovery Manager back up file creation with the FFFFFF14 error that was being made during the system recovery. (I wish I knew what he did.) He then was able to resolve the 268D3 error that had locked my computer up in the first place. After several scans, cleaning the registry and searching for anything unusual. He was able to locate it and delete it. (I also wish I knew what the name of the virus was.) He said the virus had actually attached itself to the Google Chrome Icon and that's why my Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan and my Avg Virus scan did not find it. (That was the best $49.00 I had spent in a long time to have him resolve my problem.)
I wish I was able to say exactly what he did to troubleshoot everything to help someone else that may be having the same problem I was, but I'm so technologically challenged I can't.
I do want to thank you again for your willingness to help and the suggestion that you gave. If I have another problem in the future I will definately come to the HP Support Community Forums.
HP Recommended

@Mrich1

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution
You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉
To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And accept this as the solution to help others find your post helpful.
Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.