Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been struggling with my laptop overheating for over 6 months now. Since the day I bought it, I have been using my laptop on a laptop stand--that is at an incline to allow for air circulation. Nonetheless, it constant over heats within 30 minutes of me using it. As a result, the fans are extra loud.

I have downloaded every update reccommended by HP and even had an agent virtually try to fix it but nothing works.

Side note: I have not been able to send in my laptop because I am a full time student and depend on my laptop for all my assignments. Its fustrating having to deal with this because my laptop is not even a year old yet. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi! @ffperez, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand the laptop is overheating and the cooling fan is making a loud noise.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

Please share the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Excellent description and a great diagnosis done. It is greatly appreciated.

Try updating the windows to the latest version and check if it helps.

Try restoring the BIOS to default.

1.    Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
2.    Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
3.    On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
4.    Press F10 to Save and Exit.
5.    Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
6.    Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Try updating the BIOS and chipset drivers on your PC.

You can update the drivers on your PC using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant. Click Here

To properly ventilate the computer, allow at least 7.6 cm (3 in) of clearance on the left side
of the computer. The computer uses an electric fan for ventilation. The fan is controlled by a temperature
sensor and is designed to turn on automatically when high-temperature conditions exist. These conditions
are affected by high external temperatures, system power consumption, power management/battery
conservation configurations, battery fast charging, and software requirements. Exhaust air is displaced
through the ventilation grill located on the left side of the computer.

Lastly, try running a system diagnostics test on your PC and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC. Click Here

Refer this article to further troubleshoot fan noise issues. Click Here

Hope to this answers your query!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have not made any major software or hardware changes. 

I have already installed BiOS over 3 times with the assistance of HP agents.

Additionally, I always use my laptop on a laptop stand that keeps my laptop at an incline to allow for proper ventilation. 

I have ran the system's diagnosis test and everything is in good conditions. 

Product #: 2LV01UA#ABA

HP Recommended

I just got my laptop a few days ago and am having the same issues. I also got the same exact laptop about a month ago and i sent it back because I was having the SAME overheating issue. So they sent me another new one but the same exact overheatting/loud fan issue is occurring. 

Any helpful hints? 

HP Recommended

@ffperez, Thanks for your prompt response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for writing back to us.

Please share the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Try the steps recommended below and check if it helps.

HP Spectre products offer the option to switch to a lower power CPU state in which the computer runs cooler. The power switching option is different depending on the Spectre model. The two options, selecting the low power mode in the BIOS, or turning on Cool Control using the desktop interface, are very similar. Some of their features are:
Both options for switching to the lower power CPU achieve the same result. The only difference is that Cool Control has a Windows interface.
The default setting for all Spectre products is Performance mode in the BIOS or Off for Cool Control.
Selecting Balanced mode in the BIOS or selecting On in Cool Control reduces maximum power usage resulting in lower system operating temperatures, which causes slightly lower system performance.

Use one of the following instructions, depending on which Spectre model you have, to switch cooling options:

HP Spectre x360 13"/15" - instructions for changing to Balance mode in BIOS:

1. Enter BIOS by pressing F10 repeatedly at startup.

2. Under the System Configuration tab, select System Power Scheme.

Figure : System configuration tab in BIOS

System configuration tab in BIOS with System Power Scheme selected
  3. Select Balance for the lower-power, cooler CPU mode.

Figure : System Power Scheme

System Power Scheme with Balance selected
  4. Click Exit Saving Changes. Do not save Default settings because the default is Performance.

HP Spectre 13 - instructions for turning on Cool Control:

1. From the Windows desktop, open Control Panel.

2. Select HP Cool Control.

Figure : Control Panel

Control panel open with HP Cool Control selected
  3. In the popup menu, select On for the lower-power, cooler CPU mode.

Figure : Cool Control

Cool Control turned on

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

For me the new BIOS together with the HP Command Center fixed all my overheating and fan issues.

I had similar problems especially while charging and having a second screen through thunderbolt I would always hit 100C.

For me if you put the Command Center to "quiet" this stops everything.

The fan goes quietly and i dont hit more than 50C while charging and having the second screen in use and charging too.

Before i realised that I followed the solution on Reddit too though to change the maximum CPU to 99%.

That did not solve my problem but maybe it plays a role together with the "quiet" settings.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.