Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I also have an HP Spectre X360 15t-bl1xx
Just updated the BIOS a few days ago. The next time I opened up my laptop it was dead, now in perpetual loop of restart when I try to shut it down. If I shut it lid it remains on since it doesnt shut down after awhile.

I tried a restore to before the BIOS update through windows with no change, still in a perpetual loop of restarts.  So I do a hard shutdown by holding down the button. After coming back to it tonight, I turn it on and it goes into repair mode because it cannot load windows. 

I thought doing an update through the HP support assistant was safe but it has really rendered my laptop unusable. Any software fix in the future for this? Please and thanks. 

EDIT: Here is more information
The update I did on May 29th 2019 is:
HP Notebook BIOS Update
SoftPaq number: sp96173
Version; F.40
The computer stopped working normally after performing the update, heres the full story:
I installed this update, with no issue. Than I packed up my computer (by closing the lid since it automatically shuts down after awhile) and used it again today on the 31st this morning. 

The update was through HP Support Assistent program preloaded on my computer since purchase.
It would not turn on initially because the battery had died so I plug it in and continue using it as I normally would. When I went to shut it down after completing my work, it shut down and within 5 seconds would immediately boot back up. I thought it was strange and go through shutting it down again with the same result; started right back up. This is when I realized why my computer dead when I picked up after 3 days; because it could never shut down. 
I did a restore immediately after trying to restart it, shut it down, log out than shut it down etc. 
The restore point was before the BIOS update on the 29th but was still experiencing problems after wards. 
I give up and walk away for the afternoon, and come back this evening to the computer trying to repair itself because it could not find windows. Now here I am back on the forums, seeing if there is any update to my post.

Its really an awesome laptop and its definitely a software issue where it keeps booting back up, so please any remedy would help to fix or circumvent this issue without damaging my computer with hard shutdowns. 

P.S. Im a university student, so I cant afford to buy another laptop, and all my programming assignments are on here 😞

Thanks and sorry for the long post

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Final Update!!
After Hp getting in touch with me, I was able to get it sent out to HP for them to take a look at and it ended up getting resolved. This was the repair order of what they did. They also RESET windows (The one where your data stays preserved) and it works great now. 
Repair details.PNG

I'd like to thank HP for helping me out for this. I really appreciate it 1000 percent!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Not sure if this will work or not, but someone has mentioned unscrewing the bottom panel and removing both the main battery and the CMOS battery.

I had the same fault with my 13" spectre 4k, but as it was still under warranty I sent it back to HP. According to the repair slip it had a replacement motherboard. So i am not sure if that fix will work, worth a try though.

HP Recommended

@Ayshire_Haggis

I saw this on your original post that you posted a couple of months ago but I am not skilled enough to try it on my laptop, nor do I have the tools. I hope it can be a simple fix like that instead of having to replace the motherboard. 

Im taking it to the Microsoft Store today for a diagnostic to see what they come up with so far. Seems like motherboard failures are common on these computers :(. Such a shame really, hopefully eventually they will recall the motherboards. Ive only had the laptop for 18 months which is not long for a laptop. Ive had laptops from 2006 made from Hp that work to this day and my gaming laptop is a 2012 MSI with no issues so a motherboard failure less than 2 years in is definitely not normal. 

Thanks for posting the solution up again Ayrshire! 

HP Recommended

Update! This is what Microsoft said to me when they took a look at it. They were not able to solve the problem nor figure out the outcome of it. They requested that if I did find a solution to inform them of it.
What Microsoft tried and found.What Microsoft tried and found.

I could really use your help HP. I do my programming assignments on this laptop and I dont have another option at the moment. Please get back to me.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Update 2! I went to an authorized HP repair center listed on the website. The place is called UBreakIFix. This was their notes they provided for the diagnostic. They are unable to determine the cause of the issue, even after opening up the back and checking the motherboard. They noted that they havn't seen this before, and its too complicated for them to fix and suggested calling HP for support. 
UBreakIFix.JPG

Im hoping for some support here from the HP staff on the forum before calling HP support after spending all weekend trying to fix it to no avail. 
If you guys can help out or link me with someone who can I would appreciate it thanks.

HP Recommended

Final Update!!
After Hp getting in touch with me, I was able to get it sent out to HP for them to take a look at and it ended up getting resolved. This was the repair order of what they did. They also RESET windows (The one where your data stays preserved) and it works great now. 
Repair details.PNG

I'd like to thank HP for helping me out for this. I really appreciate it 1000 percent!

HP Recommended

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to provide a solution to this for the folks that don't want to go through HP repair services. I have the 2018 Spectre x360  15t (model 15-bl1XX). About 6 months ago...after a Windows update, I started having an issue where the laptop would not shutdown or go into stand-by mode. This is well documented on various forums including here.  I tried many things, including a BIOS update, fresh install of Windows and all drivers, changing power settings, etc... @Brobro's post provided the answer to this issue. For those that don't want to send their laptop in, here's what you need to do:

Option 1 - Follow HP's support steps to reset the CMOS:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Press and hold the Windows + V keys.
  3. Still pressing those keys, press and hold the Power button on the computer for 2-3 seconds, and then release the Power button, but continue pressing and holding the Windows + V keys until the CMOS Reset screen displays or you hear beeping sounds.
    At the completion of a successful CMOS Reset, a message similar to the one below displays:
    CMOS_RESET.png

4. Press Enter to restart the computer.
  5. Restart the laptop and boot into Windows

6. Perform a shutdown and confirm it worked

7. Re-assemble the CMOS and main battery and back lid. 

Option 2 (if option 1 does not work for some reason)

1. Get a T5 torx screwdriver and also a phillips screwdriver
  2. Mine has the rubber circles as feet, so follow this video for disassembly: https://youtu.be/d_lCU6Pe3ZQ (you can check for teardowns of other models as needed)
  3. Once you have the back lid off, follow this HP support video to disconnect the CMOS battery from the motherboard: https://youtu.be/BPWvvzLFzBo
  4. Now that you have the CMOS battery disconnected, also disconnect the main battery as shown in the video in step 2.
  5. Plug the power cord in
  6. Power up the laptop
  7. You should see a screen that states the CMOS has been reset (same screen shot as above)
  8. Restart the laptop and boot into Windows
  9. Perform a shutdown and confirm it worked
  10. Re-assemble the CMOS and main battery and back lid. 

I hope that helps and may help avoid people having to send their laptops in for repair. 

Learn how to remove and replace the real-time clock (RTC) battery on the HP Spectre x360 15-bl000. For other helpful videos go to http://hp.com/supportvideos or http://youtube.com/hpsupport. More support options for your HP device are available at http://hp.com/support. Continue the Conversation:
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.